Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Machine I've always wanted. >

Machine I've always wanted.

Machine I've always wanted.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Yep I have sewn on my treadle and my younger dd has made lots of things on it. beautiful find!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:18 PM

Beautiful machine! I've never used one but have always wanted to. Have fun!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 AM

I was about 7-8 years old (60's) and my mother wouldn't let me or my sisters near her electric sewing machine. She knew we wanted to sew on a machine, so when she was at an auction and one came on the block, she got it for $3.00. We learned to sew on that machine. It had a great stitch. I made a lot of clothes for myself. It was part of the bedroom furniture. 3 beds, 3 dressers and the sewing machine. I think I used it more than the others. When we moved on to our own homes, my mother got 2 or 3 more. Then she moved to a small apartment and gave one to each of us. My younger sister got the one we learned on(we drew straws).I got a different one. I have never tried to use it. It has a long bobin and I feel I need to learn a new tool. The old dog new trick syndrom. ---- When you start to use it, remember to turn the hand wheel to make it go forward and work the feet at the same time. Once you get it going it should be smooth. You will probably need to use the hand wheel to position any beginning and ending stitch.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

A big congrats! It looks in wonderful shape. We recently purchased a treadle too. It wasn't in working order but just a couple of days ago we got it up and running. I am practicing the treadling itself for now but I do plan to use it for sewing quilts.

A picture of her all fixed up but before the belt was on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97988[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97983.jpe  
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QBeth
Long story short, my legs are too long for these nachines. :-)
We, DH and I, had that problem too so DH added small wooden blocks (~2inches) on top of the metal cast iron treadle legs. He lifted the wooden cabinet part that way making more leg space. He also put the treadle on casters to protect the floor but this lifted it another 1 inch or so. Because of this though you would need to buy a treadle belt that is custom cut in lenght off a roll. The prepackaged ones would be too short.

Another option would be to use a small wooden kitchen table, add the cast iron treadle base under it, cut a hole in the top of the table and treadle that way. That way you do not have the storage tray in the way of your knees.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A big congrats! It looks in wonderful shape. We recently purchased a treadle too. It wasn't in working order but just a couple of days ago we got it up and running. I am practicing the treadling itself for now but I do plan to use it for sewing quilts.
Isn't she beautiful! Did you have to refinish the cabinet? I'm so thrilled to see so many of these machines begin cared for and still being used. There's something to be said for these old, simple machines that are still around and usable after 80-100 years. We can't say that about many other newer machines. I know the "motor" won't wear out until I do - since I'm the motor!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Check out the virtual section for Vintage Machines... :) You got a beautiful machine...Billy has tuts on how to clean and restore your machine.

I use my Singer treadle all of the time piecing my DJ quilt and for other things as well...I do NOT use my Wheeler & Wilson...the decals on it are fragile, and I don't want to lose anymore of them that are already gone...
Thanks so much for the tutorial idea. I'll be looking!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by DebbyT
I was about 7-8 years old (60's) and my mother wouldn't let me or my sisters near her electric sewing machine. She knew we wanted to sew on a machine, so when she was at an auction and one came on the block, she got it for $3.00. We learned to sew on that machine. It had a great stitch. I made a lot of clothes for myself. It was part of the bedroom furniture. 3 beds, 3 dressers and the sewing machine. I think I used it more than the others. When we moved on to our own homes, my mother got 2 or 3 more. Then she moved to a small apartment and gave one to each of us. My younger sister got the one we learned on(we drew straws).I got a different one. I have never tried to use it. It has a long bobin and I feel I need to learn a new tool. The old dog new trick syndrom. ---- When you start to use it, remember to turn the hand wheel to make it go forward and work the feet at the same time. Once you get it going it should be smooth. You will probably need to use the hand wheel to position any beginning and ending stitch.
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I haven't sewn on one before, and was hoping folks who had would share some of their expertise. I hope you'll give yours a try - what a treasure!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Looks like the one my grandmother had. Nice find.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Beautiful Red Eye!