Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Machine quilting frame on the cheap...that works! >

Machine quilting frame on the cheap...that works!

Machine quilting frame on the cheap...that works!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Really, Really, Really neat
Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM

wow awesome... but I still don't understand how you can use a regular sewing machine to do the quilting... cuz there is so much material that won't fit in the ummm arch of the arm shall I say.. lol.. anyways.. I am so looking forward to seeing more details about how he did this ...
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
rb.

Originally Posted by Mrs. Bee
Is there any chance that you or your husband would share the list of supplies and measurements that one might be able to copy this design for themselves?
See my post a few above yours (pg 4 of this thread) with the link to the new thread. I gave dimensions and materials there. :D
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM
rb.

Originally Posted by JLMiller
wow awesome... but I still don't understand how you can use a regular sewing machine to do the quilting... cuz there is so much material that won't fit in the ummm arch of the arm shall I say.. lol.. anyways.. I am so looking forward to seeing more details about how he did this ...
My machine has, I think, a 9 inch throat. I can easily do a 4 inch area without having to advance the quilt on the "rollers", but that's with the middle one in place, that holds the top and batting not yet quilted. Someone here, who has used the Flynn frame, posted that a quick machine basting, using the Flynn frame on the machine, and then remove the middle rod, allowing for more space to quilt. I've only quilted two so far, both meandering, but they went very fast. I have a queen to do know, and I'm going to try that method so I can do 6 inch motifs in my 6 inch blocks. Should work ok.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Awsome!! enjoy !!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Wow! Very creative DH!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 PM

Neat! I love handy guys!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM

See my post a few above yours (pg 4 of this thread) with the link to the new thread. I gave dimensions and materials there. :D[/quote]

ummmm again.. sooo confused... I do not see the above post for the information about how you made this... I'm sorry I'm soooo out of the loop... but I'm not able to get on here very often so I can only check once a day if even that.. lol

anyways.. I would still like the directions on how he made this to give to my hubby and I will go from there I guess lol
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rb.
My machine has, I think, a 9 inch throat. I can easily do a 4 inch area without having to advance the quilt on the "rollers", but that's with the middle one in place, that holds the top and batting not yet quilted. Someone here, who has used the Flynn frame, posted that a quick machine basting, using the Flynn frame on the machine, and then remove the middle rod, allowing for more space to quilt. I've only quilted two so far, both meandering, but they went very fast. I have a queen to do know, and I'm going to try that method so I can do 6 inch motifs in my 6 inch blocks. Should work ok.
ok.... maybe what I nn is the directions on the whole thing in the first place as I am still soooo confused.. lol.... ummmm maybe I just nn to start from the very BEGINNING... i don't know sniff sniff
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM

It really is easy to put the whole thing together and it can work very well. When doing machine quilting either the sewing machine must move as they have designed this to do, or the frame has to move, as John Flynn's frame was designed to do. The thing about the flynn frame is it doesn't take up so much space and is easy to store but when you get into a design where the machine is being moved it takes a whole lot more. Watch the Flynn video that is on his sight and yu will see how easy he moves that frame with his fingers. Yes, it does take some practice but so does other forms of quilting. Good luck.

Originally Posted by rb.
ok.... maybe what I nn is the directions on the whole thing in the first place as I am still soooo confused.. lol.... ummmm maybe I just nn to start from the very BEGINNING... i don't know sniff sniff