Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
maintaining the legacy >

maintaining the legacy

maintaining the legacy

Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Default maintaining the legacy

Our small church congregation was blessed for many years with a dear lady who made embroidered day-of-the-week cup towels for all our brides and "summer" quilts for all of our high school grads. (Summer quilt in my vocabulary is a two piece creation - with no batting. I know this gets debated that by definition a quilt requires batting and I don't mean to start that issue. These light weight covers are more squishable, packable, stuffable, and are consequently quicker and a bit cheaper to make.)

The sweet lady passed away last year at the age of 99. She had been too frail to keep up her self-made tradition for a few years. My daughter - married in 2002 - received a set of the cup towels and both my children - 1998 and 2000 graduates were given the quilts. At her funeral the minister asked for a show of hands of those who had been gifted with a "Mama C" creation and ... it was amazing how many hands went up. I even have one of the quilts I got as a door prize at a ladies' retreat.

So... when I started quilting one of my goals was to restart her tradition. This is the 3rd years I have made them for our graduates. Being a small congregation this usually means around 4 quilts. This year it's a whopping 5.

The outdoors one is made of flannel fat quarters and uses the pattern "Cheaper By the Dozen". It's backed in flannel also. Sure wish I knew where I bought these fq's. They were a set on an online site. The flannel is really nice!

The dark blue one uses a charm pack - or two - with a couple of yards of the blue. The pattern is a modification of Moda's baby quilt "Baby Line Dance". Their web site has this free pattern.

The brown/orange one is based on the jelly roll race idea, but uses a honey bun instead.

The batik/black one uses the pattern "Cloud Nine". It's one you find at the quilt shop on small laminated cards. The fabric is all from Connecting Threads.

The red, white, and blue one is another "Cheaper By the Dozen" pattern. When I go on a shop hop I like to pick up red/white/blue fat quarters. This gives me something fairly cheap to pick up. I get one or two at different shops and after a while have a little collection of them. When I need something for the last minute this is my go-to pattern and colorway. (I didn't know this young man was graduating. I started cutting the fat quarters at 4:00 PM today and finished the pull-over binding around midnight.)

The finished size of each one is around 60 X 70.

So "Mama C" --- I remember and I'm trying to pass it on!
Attached Thumbnails dsc00342.jpg   dsc00343.jpg   dsc00344.jpg   dsc00345.jpg   dsc00347.jpg  

dsc00349.jpg   dsc00350.jpg   dsc00352.jpg  

Last edited by JanTx; 06-01-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 PM

I'll bet Mama C is smiling on you for continuing her tradition. What a wonderful thing for you to do in her memory. You are such a caring & giving person. Your quilts are awesome & will be loved by all that receives them.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

wow, all are wonderful
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

Love 'em....way to go Mama J....A beautiful tradition to maintain, you have accepted the baton and are indeed a winner.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM
QM
Power Poster

what a wonderful tradition to continue!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 AM

So nice to hear stories like this. I just know you make "Mama C" proud. Nice quilts, and an awesome tradition continues because of your generosity!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
I'll bet Mama C is smiling on you for continuing her tradition. What a wonderful thing for you to do in her memory. You are such a caring & giving person. Your quilts are awesome & will be loved by all that receives them.
Amen. Took the words out of my fingers. Great story, great tribute.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

Loved your story! How wonderful you are following her tradition, a great tribute to a fabulously generous lady! Your quilts are lovely and bound to be treasured!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Great job for a great tradition!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 AM

Thumbs up

You are a blessing as Mama J was!!!!
Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Love 'em....way to go Mama J....A beautiful tradition to maintain, you have accepted the baton and are indeed a winner.