Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Mandala quilt progress - applique layout complete >

Mandala quilt progress - applique layout complete

Mandala quilt progress - applique layout complete

Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM

WOW that it gorgeous!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Absolutely beautiful! I have a book that shows this technique but I've never tried it yet.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Incredible and beautiful!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg
That is beautiful. Is going to be a center of your quilt?
It will stay this size - which is around 40" square and be a wall hanging. In a sense it is a practice piece for the altar cloth I HOPE to get the commission for. :-D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tatavw01
gorgeous, one question why don't you just straight stitch instead of zig zag I do this all the time....it's a lot easier....
but, all in all it is the best piece i have seen in a long time.... looking forward to the finish piece :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;)
I'm now thinking that I might satin stitch in black, which will take even longer. :mrgreen: I think this would blend the edges of the pieces more into the blasck background, which is the effect I want. It doesn't have to be easy or quick for me, in fact painstaking and difficult always suits me better - as long as the result is right. I also plan lots of decorative FMQ, also mandala-style so the same motifs repeated in each section, and possibly some gold highlights with the delicious Shiva paintstiks I just bought. :D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
3 o'clock is infinitesimally tighter than 9 o'clock to the eye. and something else.

well, you asked. delicious anyway. as per k3n.

edit: i think that's all. the tightness fades out as you go around up toward 12 and down toward 6 and loosens up toward 9. it graduates toward the top and bottom from both sides.
Thanks bw - I'll look again at those sections before I iron them on this morning. I know I fiddled for ages with 9 o'clock as the spaces were slightly out so I guess they still are. :? I'll go back to the centre on those sections and reposition them. :-D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tthuis
Wow, that honestly took my breath away! If you are inclined to sell the pattern you created let me know I would love to give it a try. Amazingly beautiful!
Thank you. I don't think this would really work as a pattern as what you see now is only half of the story - the FMQ will form the other half. I was hoping to inspire ppl to give this a go themselves by drawing their own version. I'm trying to include as much information as I can at each stage of the process as to how I'm doing this. It's very much make-it-up-as-I-go-along but I am using regular quilting techniques. And the drawing part isn't that hard - done with a pair of compasses, pencil and ruler. :-D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody
Stunning!!! I love the exploded design. What colour thread are you thinking of for the FMQ??? Metalics??

Great job so far, can't wait to see more :thumbup: :thumbup:
Very likely I will use at least some gold metallic and also the same jewel colours in the fabrics. Lots of different ones. Looking forward to that part. :-D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marla
It is beautiful. Is this reverse applique?
No it's regular machine fusible on a black wholecloth background. I use Steam a Seam Lite 2 which is tacky before you iron it on so can be placed and repositioned. :-D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Sorry for the multiple posts but I wanted to be sure to answer everyone's questions. Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments. :-D