Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Mandala Quilt >

Mandala Quilt

Mandala Quilt

Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I happen to work with a lady, my boss, who paid $15,500.00 for a hand made quilt at an auction. HAlf of which was donated to charity. The other half to the women who made it!
WOW!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
You really stirred my imagination in this topic of Mandala Quilt.

So much so, in fact, I went on line to see if I could find anything about it. This is a portion of what I found:

Maṇḍala (मण्डल) is a Sanskrit word that means "circle". In the Hindu and Buddhist religious traditions, their sacred art often takes a mandala form. The basic form of most Hindu and Buddhist mandalas is a square with four gates containing a circle with a center point. Each gate is in the shape of a T.[1][2]

These mandalas, concentric diagrams, have spiritual and ritual significance in both Buddhism and Hinduism.[3][4] The term is of Hindu origin and appears in the Rig Veda as the name of the sections of the work, but is also used in other Indian religions, particularly Buddhism. In the Tibetan branch of Vajrayana Buddhism, mandalas have been developed into sandpainting. They are also a key part of anuttarayoga tantra meditation practices.

This help me accept the price for this quilt, although I would never buy it in the first place and wouldn't pay the price if I did want to buy it.

Rettie V.Grama

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
My I didn't know we could charge that much for our quilts, did you??

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/ChadQu.../Mandala_Quilt
This is very interesting information and I will appreciate curved piecing even more now. THis is awork of art and to view it as such is a good thing.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM

I guess you can charge whatever you want for a quilt. But until someone pays it........
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I love the concept that a quilt can be small enough to cover the spy glass in your door or big enough to cover a 12 story building. They can be a placemat or a 3 thousand $ wall hanging. It's all art! I just want to add some info on the 15,500 quilt. You can see a picture of it in the December 2005 Quilting Newsletter magazine, page 11. I don't know if it is archived on line or not. It is a most beautiful work of art and should be seen. This is an interesting topic. Many ideas. Why, as women, aren't we supportive of the hard work, creativity and time we all know goes into the thing we are here for. I'm sad to say I think we don't give ourselves the appropriate credit we should. I also think we would have a different opinion if this was made by a man. He would be an artist. Women just make quilts. This is not what I beleive but seems to be a thought trend after reading some opinions on this subject.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I love the concept that a quilt can be small enough to cover the spy glass in your door or big enough to cover a 12 story building. They can be a placemat or a 3 thousand $ wall hanging. It's all art! I just want to add some info on the 15,500 quilt. You can see a picture of it in the December 2005 Quilting Newsletter magazine, page 11. I don't know if it is archived on line or not. It is a most beautiful work of art and should be seen. This is an interesting topic. Many ideas. Why, as women, aren't we supportive of the hard work, creativity and time we all know goes into the thing we are here for. I'm sad to say I think we don't give ourselves the appropriate credit we should. I also think we would have a different opinion if this was made by a man. He would be an artist. Women just make quilts. This is not what I beleive but seems to be a thought trend after reading some opinions on this subject.
Here here! :-D :-D :-D
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics View Post
shipping cost on it is $50...even that is high
Hi all...I'm the artist who created this art quilt. To clarify a couple of things, the $50 shipping cost includes insurance which I think is necessary given the uniqueness of the work. That may not have been clear in Bonanza (which I don't use any more) but it is stated in the item description in my Etsy shop (ChadQuilt). Also, while I used paint to embellish some areas, I created the mandala components using fabrics and thread. I often use art media to embellish my fabric works--for example, in the quilt I did of the Gettysburg Civil War battlefield (which is also in my Etsy shop), I used paint to alter or blend the area of Pickett's Charge. I subsequently created a digital modification of the Gettysburg quilt and had it reproduced as a cotton tapestry throw, which continues to be a well selling item.

Although several of my art quilts have sold for prices that some of you would consider very high for "small" quilts, I primarily create them to reproduce the images into different items--eg, wall prints, mousepads, note cards, tapestry throws. Since I can spend hundreds of hours creating an original design and then executing it on just 1 work, it makes sense to me to "clone" the image and use it for other products. I've recently created several Christmas stockings, all in original designs. I will use the images for other items.

I appreciate the spirited discussion that my "All Is One" work has prompted here.