Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Marathon FMQ Finished! >

Marathon FMQ Finished!

Marathon FMQ Finished!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

You did an unbelievable job. Love the quilting. Love the quilt too, blue and white is so pretty.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Looks gorgeous.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM

What an amazing job! I'm so impressed. I just did FMQ today for the very first time (practice), so you can imagine how impressed I am! Beautiful!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 PM

beautiful quilt AND quilting - congratulations
Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Thank you everyone!

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I just took a FMQ class last Saturday and can't wait to try it on the piece I threw together before the class. I don't know how it will go because I think one needs to know how to draw a few things before doing FMQ. I may end up just doing stippling my first piece.
Your quilt is absolutely beautiful.
I practise alot with pencil and paper before deciding what I am going to do. It does help enormously.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 AM

I think it's wonderful. How did you manage to get it through your machine? I have a bernina 820 which I bought to try and develop me FMQ skills, but not sure how to put such a big project through it.
I really like your quilt.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by SharonD
I think it's wonderful. How did you manage to get it through your machine? I have a bernina 820 which I bought to try and develop me FMQ skills, but not sure how to put such a big project through it.
I really like your quilt.
It really wasn't as hard as I expected Sharon. I worked from the centre doing a quarter of the quilt towards the edges, then turned it around for the next quarter and so on.
I had a table behind the machine against the wall and another at the left of me to the wall which held the rest of it - I just puddled it all around the area I was working on. On this earlier thread theres a pic of it while working on it
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58227-1.htm

The 6600 harp is 9", but I think your Bernina is 3" longer at 12"
so you should be able to get a large quilt through easily, it's just a matter of constructing your sewing area to support the quilt really. I wish I had your machine :lol:
Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 AM

I am requesting some HELP. I am a beginning mid-arm quilter with a new Nolting machine and do not have a clue as to how to go about quilting a top. Once I get the top pinned in, how do I get inspiration as what to do with it? I have looked at and admired so many beautifully quilted tops that I freeze up when I think of doing my own. Would watching quilting DVDs help the problem? I hate to ruin my beautiful pieced tops with bad quilting. HELP
Old 09-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by passionpiecer
I am requesting some HELP. I am a beginning mid-arm quilter with a new Nolting machine and do not have a clue as to how to go about quilting a top. Once I get the top pinned in, how do I get inspiration as what to do with it? I have looked at and admired so many beautifully quilted tops that I freeze up when I think of doing my own. Would watching quilting DVDs help the problem? I hate to ruin my beautiful pieced tops with bad quilting. HELP
Well I only use a table top domestic machine - but I spent loads of time with practice squares, equally with pencil and paper - before even attempting a "proper" piece - and the first thing I did free motion was a table runner.

I have been doing fmq for 18 months now and each thing I do I am happier with. I have bought several books on free motion quilting which are full of hints and methods for planning how to quilt a particular piece. There are lots of videos on Utube on fmq too.

It takes me a long time to decide what I will do, but that always includes a "dry" run on a practice piece (and loads of paper :lol: ).

When you have done a fair bit of practice, your confidence will increase, but I would start with smaller pieces first.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:44 AM

thanks for your input. you are right - I need to put in a muslin sandwich and practice,practice. I have attempted one panto but it was very poorly done. I would like to do original quilting and some feathers but I have not mastered that yet either. Again, thanks for your input and support. d :)