Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Meet Howie

This turtle has been cutting through our yard for 5 years. Every year about the same time he moves up the hill. Last year he lived in our garden. A couple of days ago I was able to catch him heading up the hill and snapped a picture of him before he got into the grass. He was named last year (Hungry Howie) by my kids because he took a bite out of every tomato in his reach. :lol:

Hungry Howie
    Name:  Attachment-12862.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  60.7 KB

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cool! That's a different pet. :D

Hes's great. Matt and I knew we were made for each other when, early on, we were driving and saw a turtle trying to cross a busy highway. He stopped and got the guy across safely, something I do too. Of course, if they are snappers, I let them chomp on a good sized stick, then pick up stick and turtle both.

Moonpi,

My dh and I do the same thing. Poor things are so slow.

Pretty neat to see the him year after year. Turtles are fun - a friend of mine has a pet turtle. I am always amused that he checks us out when we come over. And he really likes his treats - fruit.

Loretta,

What a good question. I know most turtles live a long time, but I didn't have a clue about this turtle. It turns out that this is a Eastern Box Turtle and they can live up to 100 years with the average being 50 to 60 years. I found out some neat stuff about these little creatures. One reason he/she stays in our yard every year is because their home turf is only about 750 feet from where they hibernate though winter. We have a nice wet weather creek that runs through our property so that is where his home is I guess. Hopefully we will be seeing Howie for many more years. :D

I love turtles :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    He's cute! Thanks for showing us his picture.

When I was a little girl I had a turtle. I "rescued" it from a highway in West Virginia and took him home to Utah. My dad drilled a little hole in the edge of his shell, and we put a thin cord through it. He lived in our garden in the summer and the basement in the winter for years. How cool!

Banned
    How cute

What a fun visitor! You'll just have to plant a few more tomatoes for Hungry Howie! (He won't eat much, maybe some lettuce would be nice too! :lol: )

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Turtles are neat pets. I am the "proud" owner of a African Spur Tortoise acquired through one of my kids -you know how that works. Their friends get these wierd pets and when they get tired of them your kids say "My Mom will take it" and they bring it on home, knowing you probably won't say no after the deed is done. Anyway, "Ingrid" came to us the size of a donut. My daughter thought it was just another box turtle and that we would put it in the habitat we made outdoors for the others we keep. I noticed she looked different from the others we have, and research told me she was a land tortoise with special needs. So we had to build another outside pen since we couldn't mix them. "Ingrid" is now about 40 pounds and a good 15 inches across. We've only had her about 6 years. I read that she can live for only another 104 years or so and will top off somewhere between 90 and ll0 pounds. We told the kids (who are now grown and gone) that whoever gets the house, gets the tortoise.

WOW Nancy - that is really cool. Good gal!!!

Hey that was a great idea. And way to cool on him coming around summer after summer after summer. I wonder is there a misses around? Babies? anything?

Love Howie. We had a pet spider last summer in the eaves of the deck - big ol' thing. But.... I don't remember what we named him.