Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Memory Quilt...this one's for me! >

Memory Quilt...this one's for me!

Memory Quilt...this one's for me!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Memory quilts are wonderful, my neighbor has started one. I'm anxious to see it finished.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Your memory quilt will be such a treasure!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
A couple of you have asked how I got my pictures on fabric, etc. I scanned pictures into my computer and printed them out on pre-treated fabrics for photos. Since I wanted more options, I bought solution and treated my own fabrics, but it was a pain to do frankly. I also made some collage pages that I scanned and these became backgrounds for my flying geese and such. Things like letters, artwork, pictures...all from my mom's history. After printing these out, I used them as I would any fabric as backgrounds. It makes the quilt more interesting to me.

Thank you again everyone for your thoughtful and kind comments!
Your quilt is a treasure! I make photo quilts for my grandchildren when they graduate high school. I use iron-on transfers. I've wanted to try the fabric printing sheets for ink jet printers, but because of the expense have kept to the transfer sheets (I put 30 photos or photo collages on each quilt--they're reversible). Did you use the fabric sheets you prepared yourself? I'm interested in the cost comparison and the final result. What did you think?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by JudeWill View Post
Your quilt is a treasure! I make photo quilts for my grandchildren when they graduate high school. I use iron-on transfers. I've wanted to try the fabric printing sheets for ink jet printers, but because of the expense have kept to the transfer sheets (I put 30 photos or photo collages on each quilt--they're reversible). Did you use the fabric sheets you prepared yourself? I'm interested in the cost comparison and the final result. What did you think?
I'm sorry I can't really answer your questions as I've never used transfer sheets? I did find it was more cost effective by treating my own fabric, & ironing the treated fabric to freezer paper and then trimming them to size to go through a printer, but it does take up quite a bit of time. Everyone must find their own comfort level for doing this type of thing. I loved the freedom that creating my own sheets gave me...(using fabrics for printing that I couldn't find to buy). Good luck to you!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
I'm sorry I can't really answer your questions as I've never used transfer sheets? I did find it was more cost effective by treating my own fabric, & ironing the treated fabric to freezer paper and then trimming them to size to go through a printer, but it does take up quite a bit of time. Everyone must find their own comfort level for doing this type of thing. I loved the freedom that creating my own sheets gave me...(using fabrics for printing that I couldn't find to buy). Good luck to you!
Thanks. I'm going to have to try treating my own fabric. Maybe a small project first. Again--lovely quilt!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 PM

your memory quilt is the best i've seen so far! My sister & i would like to make one for our mother, but i'm having trouble finding a good transfer fabric sheets. Some people complain about the iron-on that it does not stick to fabric or fades during washing. I can find the sew-on. WHAT DO YOU USE TO TREAT YOUR FABRIC WITH! Darlene

Last edited by memetoo; 04-01-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: MORE INFORMATION
Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 AM

Awesome!! Did you use the photo cloth that you run through the printer for this?? Just wondering......I would love to do a quilt for my DIL with pics of the boys from birth to now, but havent used any of the photo cloth yet.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 AM

oops, sorry........if I would have read the posts first I would have gotten my answer, lol. Hope you have a blessed day
Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Banned

That is the finest memory quilt I've ever seen.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by memetoo View Post
your memory quilt is the best i've seen so far! My sister & i would like to make one for our mother, but i'm having trouble finding a good transfer fabric sheets. Some people complain about the iron-on that it does not stick to fabric or fades during washing. I can find the sew-on. WHAT DO YOU USE TO TREAT YOUR FABRIC WITH! Darlene
I've tried several different brands of photo transfer cloth that you sew in, not iron-on.
The best I've found is made by C Jenkins Company. Unlike other brands it is soft like quilting cotton fabric.
I order 10 white Miracle Fabric sheets at a time; irregulars if they offer them when I'm ordering.
If you wish to do your own, they sell the supplies.
http://www.cjenkinscompany.com