Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Merry, Pics of my embellished applique >

Merry, Pics of my embellished applique

Merry, Pics of my embellished applique

Old 09-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sandrabrueggeman
Or the name of a book to get us started, your work is just great.
Sandra, I really did not get it from a book. I have a background in clothing construction. And when I started applique I didn't know what the standard techniques for applique were, so I had to improvise from past clothing construction experience. I am working on pictures and instructions for anything that is different. Plus I have a little bit of an art background too.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Lilrain, I am attaching photos of the gingko stamp. I bought all of these foam pieces for $1 each at a local discount store. The purple one has an interesting texture that might add surface interest if using a stamp pad. I have not used it yet obviously. The pink one (for pool use) has those two slots that look like a good stamp in and of themselves. Plus this one I used with T-pins for an assortment of different crafts. See the pin marks all over the center area.

Green one: First I outlined a real gingko leaf on it and roughly cut around it. I used an old kitchen paring knife to cut the more detailed shape. My paring knife was smooth. I think a serrated knife would work better but I do not have one in my crafting tools. It is not a real easy job to cut the foam board and you should be careful not to cut yourself in the process. But even though, it only took about 10 minutes.

I painted with ordinary craft paint in shades of green and gold directly onto the face of the stamp each time I stamped. I blended the two colors together on the stamp itself arbitrarily. And the coating was not very heavy. You can see the grain of the fabric still. I was trying to avoid that plastic look from acrylic paint. I did not know that there were additives that could be mixed with the paint at the time. I did this several years ago, and I live in a one horse town with very little shopping! And I don't get out much! LOL I apologize when the hick in me comes through! LOL Now I would try a little textile medium with it.

Foamboard assortment & carved stamps
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255063[/ATTACH]

Leaf Gingko Stamp
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255064[/ATTACH]

Stamp Assortment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255065[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255057.jpe   attachment-255058.jpe   attachment-255059.jpe  
Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 PM

great
Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Fantastic work. Really beautiful stuff. Well done and thanks for showing it.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Thank you so much for sharing! Your work is so beautiful!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by KastleKitty
Lilrain, I am attaching photos of the gingko stamp. I bought all of these foam pieces for $1 each at a local discount store. The purple one has an interesting texture that might add surface interest if using a stamp pad. I have not used it yet obviously. The pink one (for pool use) has those two slots that look like a good stamp in and of themselves. Plus this one I used with T-pins for an assortment of different crafts. See the pin marks all over the center area.

Green one: First I outlined a real gingko leaf on it and roughly cut around it. I used an old kitchen paring knife to cut the more detailed shape. My paring knife was smooth. I think a serrated knife would work better but I do not have one in my crafting tools. It is not a real easy job to cut the foam board and you should be careful not to cut yourself in the process. But even though, it only took about 10 minutes.

I painted with ordinary craft paint in shades of green and gold directly onto the face of the stamp each time I stamped. I blended the two colors together on the stamp itself arbitrarily. And the coating was not very heavy. You can see the grain of the fabric still. I was trying to avoid that plastic look from acrylic paint. I did not know that there were additives that could be mixed with the paint at the time. I did this several years ago, and I live in a one horse town with very little shopping! And I don't get out much! LOL I apologize when the hick in me comes through! LOL Now I would try a little textile medium with it.
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:46 PM

WOW!!! Beautiful!!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM

I think this is the most beautiful hand embroidery work with embelishment I've seen.

Please tell me where do you find your inspiration to create such divine work. I am creating "in my head" a crazy quilt and wanted something I didn't know what it was but it is something like you have done- thanks for materializing what was just a thought in my mind that I though didn't exist.

Please please show us more of your work.

I belong to your fun club from now on!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 PM

I am absolutely amazed at your dandelion. Well done!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm not Merry...lol...but your work is stunning! I belong to a group that does Brazilian embroidery...and your work looks a lot like it! Very nice!
K