Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Mini whole cloth - things I learned! >

Mini whole cloth - things I learned!

Mini whole cloth - things I learned!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:44 AM

Good job!!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 AM

Marion, the quilt you have made is a pieced quilt because you have pieced blocks together. A wholecloth quilt is one piece of fabric that has no piecing on it. (An exception to this would be using the same fabric to make the quilt wider than the width of the fabric).

I am so glad you listed the things you learned from the process you used. It is a great instructional for others that are about to try their first wholecloth quilt. I too had bearding on a black wholecloth I was quilting. When I saw what was happening I stopped. I plan to re-try my idea, but will use black batting. :-) next time.

I hope you will try another wholecloth and post it, perhaps also listing the new experiences you had. Ellen
Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
Marion, the quilt you have made is a pieced quilt because you have pieced blocks together. A wholecloth quilt is one piece of fabric that has no piecing on it. (An exception to this would be using the same fabric to make the quilt wider than the width of the fabric).

I am so glad you listed the things you learned from the process you used. It is a great instructional for others that are about to try their first wholecloth quilt. I too had bearding on a black wholecloth I was quilting. When I saw what was happening I stopped. I plan to re-try my idea, but will use black batting. :-) next time.

I hope you will try another wholecloth and post it, perhaps also listing the new experiences you had. Ellen
It is one piece of fabric, it's not blocks sewn together.

I don't know what bearding is ... can you explain?

Thanks very much
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Looks really good! Great design.

To get the chalk out on a black quilt when they won't brush away, I take a piece of my leftover fabric wadded up, wet it slightly and brush/rub the chalk marks away. Seems to work well for me.

Watson
Thanks Watson, I tried that, didn't work LOL ... could be the type of chalk I am using, it's a pencil "chalk", so not really a "light chalk" ...
Old 05-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

thank you for sharing your 'lessons learned'. I've had ideas about using chalk.
I might try a powdered chalk instead. I enjoyed the whole thing. I'd say you
did a good job and are very brave. I like cats too .
Old 05-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
thank you for sharing your 'lessons learned'. I've had ideas about using chalk.
I might try a powdered chalk instead. I enjoyed the whole thing. I'd say you
did a good job and are very brave. I like cats too .
I think the powdered chalk would work much better ... I'm putting it in the wash today to see what happens to the lines!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:46 PM

Hello Marion, I apologize. I misunderstood your explanation when you said you were making “blocks”. After re-reading your post I see it clearer.

Bearding is what you experienced with your quilt in your 2nd photo. The process of the needle going through the quilt layers causes the batting to poke through the backing fabric, thus you are able to see the specks of batting poking out of the back of the quilt. Ellen
Old 05-11-2018, 05:05 PM

This is fantastic for a first..... Good that you just went for it. It's only fabric and you never waste time when learning. Can't wait to see what you do next..
Old 05-12-2018, 03:56 AM

Ellen 1 ... thanks for the explanation. It's not bearding ... while you are seeing some batting all over the place, it's because that's where the batting is LOL ... tiny pieces of it all over the place. I will take a better picture later today so people can see what I mean about how dense and tight the design is.

The more I look at whole cloth quilts, the more I see simpler designs without the stitches going over each other repeatedly. I am 99% sure that is what happened here.

I'm working on another whole cloth quilt. I'm using stencils for that one ... pics and a new thread to come later

Thanks for all the comments!
Old 05-12-2018, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
Hey Rhonda K ... yes, I have tried the stippling blocks and they do work, but it is really tight. You wouldn't have the mess of the embroidery blocks, with all the changes in colours, and overlap. It has nothing to do with tension, just that the sewing is so close together.

I am going to try another one, and see how that goes!
Marion,

I don't remember your exact machine. Check the stippling designs in the machine. I believe you can increase the the width between the stippling lines. It's a simple press of one of the buttons. My dealer showed us in class and they have designs stitched out at different widths/size on sample quilt blocks. I'll check directions later this weekend and post for you.

You can also design the stippling to outline at a specified distance around the edge of the design. I really need to play with the machine and try some samples too.

Rhonda K.