Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
And more blocks done on silk quilt ... >

And more blocks done on silk quilt ...

And more blocks done on silk quilt ...

Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Love the blocks. Are they paper pieced?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 PM

I'm anxious to see the blocks all together. That quilt is going to be beautiful.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM

It is going to be so incrediblly beautiful. I can't wait to see it.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
I'm anxious to see the blocks all together. That quilt is going to be beautiful.
That's the truth! This is going to be spectacular! You sure are flying thru those blocks! Kudos!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts View Post
Love the blocks. Are they paper pieced?
These blocks are not paper pieced. I cut the focal center print with the larger Crazy Quilt template and then just cut strips the width I wanted. I cut 1 3/4" strips. I basted the center piece onto a fabric foundation square (cut mine 13") & then started sewing the strips around that piece until I had the square covered. Then squared off the piece with a 12 1/2" square template. After that I basted the outside edges to keep the ends down and help stop fraying. It takes me 2 hours to do one square. I have a long way to go but am enjoying this quilt very much. I love the colors and the designs. So glad you like the blocks!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
Weasie,

I have been following your posts of these beautiful silk shirt blocks. Can't wait to see the finished product.

P.S. When my children were small I read them a book about a little girl named Weasie. Her two older sisters would go to school each day on the bus and she wanted so much to be big enough to go with them. Years later I looked for that book but never found it again. I loved the pictures in the book because it was set in an old house (probably late 1800's) that was so like the house we lived in at the time.
Thanks for sharing your story! I grew up in a house that was pre-civil war in upstate New York. My nephew & his family live in it now. I love going home and seeing the house. We had a lot of "Weasies" in my family. My great grandmother and aunt were Weasies. I'm the last one.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by sassy granny View Post
Your blocks are so pretty. I'm watching this project also. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. I noticed that you are making 2 identical blocks of each pattern. Are you going to get enough to make yourself a quilt too or will they all go in the one you are making for the provider of the shirts? They are so nice and so much work, you should be able to keep one. I hope you get one too.

sassy granny
Sad to say I'm not going to be able to keep any for myself. The quilt goes to the shirt owner. The shirts were very large and he lost so much weight that he couldn't wear them any more. They were all Tommy Bahama silk shirts before I cut them up! I cut some expensive shirts! Kind of scarey since these were his favorites. He actually gave many more away to friends to wear. I also have two rayon shirts that I am going to make into pillow for him. I didn't want to mix the rayon and silk. I should get a fairly decent size quilt out of the shirts.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by majormom View Post
These silk blocks are stunning. How fortunate you are to have such a supply of silk. I read previously how your friend is supplying silk shirts for you to cut and use in your quilt. He (?) had a wonderful supply of shirts! And he must have had a lot of them. What size needle are you using to sew the blocks?
I love the prints of these shirts. The quilt will be his once I'm finished. He gave me 13 -15 shirts. I'm using a fine needle & using silk thread. They are sewing so nicely. No problems with the fabric at all. I think this is going to be the nicest quilt I've made so far!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

It's fun to watch your quilt grow...block by block!
Thanks for sharing your progress!