Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
MSQC advent box; Jenny’s favorite things >

MSQC advent box; Jenny’s favorite things

MSQC advent box; Jenny’s favorite things

Old 12-25-2018, 12:26 AM

Day 25: bracelet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605777[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605778[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2eab2ec0-f4c2-42da-8c41-a3eb6c4e4d24.jpeg   66feede2-c5b7-400f-a347-e918a327504b.jpeg  
Old 12-25-2018, 04:45 AM

You know, this could be a fun thing to do for a loved one. Make your own advent box or twelve days of Christmas box. Of course, I'm still working on gifts for this Christmas so that may just be a thought for me.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I am not disappointed with the contents of the box. It was fun.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
I’ve wondered about the value of the box really being 150-200 dollars but decided to wait until I unwrap all the days before I decide how I feel about it. Who knows, maybe the days closer to Christmas have more valuable things in them...
I am reading through this Christmas day and I am wondering too. Thank you for sharing and taking pictures. I am enjoying this through you.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:32 AM

I'm glad I passed it up. It's good that you enjoyed it. And I'm happy that you shared.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Jenny’s Box of Favorite things, my review.

When I first saw the box advertised on the front of MSQC’s website for more than triple what the current quilting monthly subscription boxes go for, it gave me pause but then I decided why not? With an average value of 6-8 dollars per item, for 25 items it would be a wonderful Quilty treat. (I determined this value based on the cost of the box at $150 and the promised value of $200)

The first day was bandaids and a *rotary cutter replacement blade. Worth the 6-8 dollars in my opinion and what a clever combo. We were off to a great start. The following day was I believe a sticker, I was not as enthusiastic about it but figured some days would need to be less than the 6-8 average if some days were going to be more. As the week went on and I unwrapped more and more small items I began to become disappointed but remained hopeful that perhaps they had put all the small swag type items in the first of the month in order to put better, more substantial items toward the middle and end of the month.

By the middle of the month after opening a single spool of their thread (value $3) a fat quarter of their fabric (value $3.25) a MSQC luggage tag, a MSCQ calendar, a MSCQ nail file, a small notepad and yep, you guessed it, MSQC branded pen, I was starting to get a clear sense of the theme of the box. Instead of a quilt themed box of Jenny’s favorite things, this was feeling much more like a swag bag. You know the kinds of things a company gives away for free for advertising purposes. Or, to be more generous, a souvenir box.

Intermixed in the souvenirs were a few quilting related items. One of the MSQC patterns (Free video tutorial), A small ruler, some Lori Holt decorative pins, a pair of embroidery scissors, a pincushion kit, and my favorite item, a Lori Holt needle collection.

Also intermixed were some items that, albeit small, probably are among Jenny’s favorite things, some handmade soap and chap stick, a few cookie recipes and some earrings. The most perplexing items though are the craft type items. A small pill box (valued at $2.50) that anyone who hasn’t seen it assumes it is for holding English paper piecing parts but in reality it is only big enough to hold pills, an English paper piecing pattern with the papers but no template and a set of 2 mini 1 inch frames for needlework. These things all seem rather random and I can only assume that they are among Jenny’s favorite things and were cheap enough to make it into the box.

The final days ended with a tin of MSQC mints, a set of their MSQC notecards and the final day, a replica of what must be a well known bracelet of Jenny’s. I’m wearing the bracelet as I write this although I can barely get it on my wrist, it is definitely not a one size fits all.

Overall, I don’t think this box was worth the $150 I spent on it and I know it’s not worth the $200 they promised. It is mostly MSQC swag with a few inexpensive Quilty and personal items thrown in. Some form or communication explaining how these things are Jenny’s favorite things might have helped but probably wasn’t practical because then she would have been left trying to explain how most of her favorite things are MSQC souvenirs.

*It was interesting to note that the brand of the replacement blade is a Walmart brand, not one that MSQC sells.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the review Pamela, after following the thread with the gift openings, I too thought the items weren't worth what the box cost, sorta surprising coming from MSQC as they seem to be a value-oriented business. Maybe the fun of opening an item a day for a month figured into their 'personal valuation' but I don't think I'd order one of these after seeing the types of items included.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:19 PM

I didn't do MSQS's as I didn't see it advertised - although I can't figure out how I missed it!

I did the FQS one, I think it was $49. Not meant to be 25 days of Christmas, as MSQS was. It's ok, but also not really worth what they are saying. 8 FQ's (a cute Christmas line), a template of a house and pine tree, sticky gift tags, a pattern, some baker's twine. The little cloth bag that the fq's came in was valued at $5, lol.

It was a gift from me to me, and it was fun to open. We did a major remodel of kitchen, bath and laundry, so DH & I agreed to not exchange gifts.

I think that this was an attempt to generate interest and some fun, like the "stuff your stocking" sales that many shops used to do. Those seem to have fallen by the wayside, so they need something to replace it.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM

I see the bracelet is now on their website with a 19.99 price tag.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Hello Pam,

I did enjoy seeing your gifts each day. And can see why it would be fun. But, I too was disappointed to see mostly just swag and non quilt related items. Although, the idea of the box is really neat and fun. I talked it over with DH and we came up with the idea of buying 2 items a month with one having 3. Set a money limit per each item and will wrap it as I buy it. And, that will be my DH's gift to me next Christmas (2019). That way the box would be more tailored to me. And, if I'm lucky, I will forget some of what is in the box by next year. Or at least I will have some things I can't wait to receive next Christmas. So, the box inspired me to try it, just in a different way.

Thanks for sharing the surprises and the info.