Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Music Man Wallhanging - Presented to my Dad

Here are a couple of quick pics of Dad and the MusicMan wallhanging.
    The Viking Helmet and Helga Hair was a gag gift from my brother presented to him at the dinner...
    Here is also a pic of the pair of us...He is so pleased with it - it was a great weekend. Mine was the only non-gag gift - My sister gave him an O.B.E. medal (over bloomin' Eighty!) - so my wallhanging will have lasting significance.
    Thank you all for your support.

The presentation
    Name:  Attachment-45427.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  61.5 KB

Both of us
    Name:  Attachment-45468.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  93.7 KB

Pam
    A lovely tribute! Well done.

Blog Entries
    Lovely, bronny!!!! Your dad is so cute!! My mom is still with us and very energetic at 85.

Awww, how sweet is that!! :D

Awww, how sweet is that!! :D

Wonderful!!! your DD is a handsome man!

Ditter

Thanks for sharing! Cute Pics! The quilt is wonderful!

I'm sure your Dad will treasure it for a long time :thumbup:

I am so glad you shared those pictures with us. I love seeing quilts and the people they were intended for. He will truly enjoy it.

He will treasure that!

Love your Dad's nicely kept beard! He looks very happy with his wall hanging. He also does not look 80!

So wonderful you were able to share something so special with you dad. It is really a one of a kind work of art, just especially for him. Thanks for sharing the joy, the pics are great!

I am not sure if I missed it, but is "The Music Man" of significance for your dad? I would assume so with the helmet and wig, but could you share a little more back ground please?

wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us.

Perfect he looks wonderful.

Very nice! Everyone looks so happy and proud - and well you should be! :thumbup:

That was wonderful!! Love your wall hanging!!

It's a wonderful and special gift. You put your heart into it and it shows.
    (I'll admit I like the Viking helmet and braids also, would love to get them for my DH, as we have a longstanding joke that this would support. I'll have to do a google search.)

I am so glad you showed your pictures of presenting the quilt to him. How fun they are! Very nice gift for dad.

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    So wonderful you were able to share something so special with you dad. It is really a one of a kind work of art, just especially for him. Thanks for sharing the joy, the pics are great!

I am not sure if I missed it, but is "The Music Man" of significance for your dad? I would assume so with the helmet and wig, but could you share a little more back ground please?
    Dad has been playing the cornet in his local brass band since the age of 7. He was born with very little calf muscle - a type of polio - and when his sister was being taught piano, he would sit and watch and repeat the lesson later, note for note (as we are told). One day the teacher saw Dad playing and told his parents that they were wasting their time on his sister, and Dad took over the lessons. Music became such a focus as he was unable to play sports with other boys his age.
    By the time I came along, Dad was an accomplished musician and High School music teacher at 5 different schools. Up until last year, he was the Band Master at Horsham (Vic). He still has students coming to his house.
    I saw this panel and knew it was the right one for him - and it truly has turned out as I had envisaged it. I followed no printed pattern, just made it up as I went along.
    The viking helmet and wig was a gag from my brother, that I'm not completely up to speed on. Something to do with him charging down the road on his new 'Go-fer', hair streaming in the wind! My brother's partner calls him 'Sherman' - not sure where that comes from either.
    As the youngest, I'm spoilt rotten and I got more brownie points with both my children: John is a guitarist - at 17 starting a career in blues music. Harry is his namesake who is considering carpentry as a career - Dad started off as a carpenter.

hmmmm sorry for the long post, but I love my Dad, and can talk about him lots.

hugs
    bronny

Bronny, Thanks so much for the background story for the wall hanging. It just show how special both your dad and your dad are. You for making this lovely cameo of his life, and him for having such a productive life and not letting his calf muscle issue keep him from living life to the fullest. He must be full of pride that you sons are following in his footsteps.

That is a lovely wallhanging and I am sure very special to your Dad.

Bronny,
    Truly enjoyed your story of your Dad's life, and the photos. Your Dad is very handsome, and obviously proud of the wallhanging you made him, and rightly so.
    Something about the Viking helmet and braids makes him downright sexy!! LOL

How wonderful! Loved seeing the pictures of your father. EIGHTY!! My father raised me after my mother left us when I was three. He died the month before he was 67. That was
    almost 22 years ago and I still miss him. I wish he could have seen his great grandchildren, the home we live in, our cottage...so many things. I just turned 67 last week and I realize more than ever just how "young" he was. Bless him and you with many more happy years.

Margie

Loved your story and pictures......Congrats to Dad on looking so young.....Nice Wall Hanging too.

What lovely pictures.. dad is a handsome bloke and looks very good in the braids.. not every fella can pull that off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast