My "Batik To Nature" Quilt >

My "Batik To Nature" Quilt

My "Batik To Nature" Quilt

Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 AM

Your quilt is just awesome!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM

So very unique and so beautiful. Love batiks
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM

I am with all of those who asked questions. This is absolutely stunning and my DH is 6ft 5in so we need a long quilt for our kind size bed.
Do you think that this magazine will still be in the stores since it is pretty recent? How did you complete this beauty in such a short time? I absolutely LOVE batiks and our LQS has such a beautiful selection.
Did you hand applique or machine? I am lovin' this!! Love the colors and the unusual pattern...

I would be interested in buying your magazine if you are finished with it. pm me, please
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM

that is awesome!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM

I love batik's. I have many of the shades you used. That is an incredible design in the middle. Looks like the roots of a tree. First time I have seen that effect. It is an incredible quilt.

Lowell ;)
Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 AM

beautiful quilt, beautifully done!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 AM

gorgeous!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 AM

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 AM

WOW! You did stunning work! I remember seeing this in the magazine & yours is dead on! Incredible colors & awesome quilting!!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
Gorgeous. Tell us more. How much previous experience do you have with applique? Did you find this challenging? Since the applique is on that large center panel, was it hard working with such a large area? Did you machine applique or hand applique?

I have my fabrics and the pattern, just haven't had the time to start. I have only done a little applique, so am somewhat intimidated. I guess I am looking to you for some additional inspiration and encouragement.
:lol: I've been sewing for 5 years and quilting for 3. One of my first quilts was an applique quilt and I've been dabbling with applique on and off for the last 3 years. I used embroidery stabilizer on the back of the panel and the pattern called for fusible web for the applique pieces so it was in place pretty good when I started the satin stitch. I actually found this to be a really easy pattern.

I machine quilted this on my Janome 6500. I echo stitched around all of the vines and within the smaller spots where the vines crossed to create loops. Then I stippled in all of the cream areas and around the leaves to make them pop a bit more. In the piano keys border, I stitched varying sized rectangles and squares with curved corners, as the original pattern had done, to give the illusion of rocks, bricks and stones. In the charcoal border I did a curving vine pattern with curls and leaves attached. To quilt the charcoal sashing strip that separates the pillow panel and the main panel, I took the same leaf pattern that was on the stencil for the charcoal border and created a tighter, curvier vine to attach to the leaves. Thanks again!