Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: My 6th weding anniversary present

  1. #1
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,759
    It is a White Family Rotary Machine.
    # 113847
    with patents dating from 3-11-1890 to 4-10-1900
    I don't know if it works yet, it's in the garage awaiting a through cleaning (who knows what cooties are lurking about on it) before being brought inside.
    I can't find any info on it anywhere. Perhaps one of the gang here does. Any information is greatly appreciated.

    Chase
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Super Member SaraSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    AZ/Utah border
    Posts
    2,390
    Wow, what a treasure. "I'll bet you can get the original info on this machine on the internet. I know Singer posts their dates to correspond to serial numbers. It looks to be in great shape. I'd love to take it off your hands. hee hee.

  3. #3
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,759
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    Wow, what a treasure. "I'll bet you can get the original info on this machine on the internet. I know Singer posts their dates to correspond to serial numbers. It looks to be in great shape. I'd love to take it off your hands. hee hee.
    I'm sure you would, you keep your lips off my machine.........LOL

    I searched, I found pictures of several but no real info.

  4. #4
    JJs
    JJs is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Posts
    894
    join the treadle yahoo group...
    vintage_treadlesewingmachines

    lots of info and help on restoring, etc, and manuals

  5. #5
    skpkatydid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    371
    Beautiful cabinet!

  6. #6
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    love it

  7. #7
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ooohhhhh....really pretty! And congrats on your anniversary!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7
    All the information you could want, and more, can be found at Katie Farmer's site. Katie has been researching the White Sewing Machine Company for a few years and hopefully will have a published book out with her information this year!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession
    Enjoy that beautiful treadle, White Rotary machines are wonderful!
    Carol in Mid-Mich
    sewnchine

  9. #9
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,759
    Thanks everyone. I found out it's from around circa 1906. The cabinet has a piece missing, the wooden bobbin access cover. I don't know if I will ever find this piece anywhere for sale. So I may try and match the wood and make one with the scroll saw and my husband can use the router to make the indentation for the knob.





    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62576881BTxlCo

  10. #10
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    Oh that is so nice!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7
    Are you familiar with the TreadleOn group? www.treadleon.net
    It is a great list for those interested in collecting and USING treadle and handcrank sewing machines. Lots of help available there for all makes and models, and also a great place to post a want for needed parts. Very friendly folks.
    Carol in Mid-Mich :))
    sewnchine

  12. #12
    Super Member mpspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rural Maryland
    Posts
    1,566
    I have a very similar macine that I purchased at an antique mall for just $75. It actually works after I purchased a new leather belt from our local Mennonite sewing machine shop. Mine has a piece of metal with the word White in large metal scrollwork across the back support above the tredle. What I found interesting in your photo was the piece of fabric wrapped around the crosspiece of the machine at the top. Mine has that also. It was an improvised pincushion the original owner probably made. There were still a few rusty pins and needles in it. There was even a box of attachments in one of the little drawers.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7
    Hi Chase,
    Your FR113847 was made in 1906.

    love your tag line!

    Carol in Mid-Mich (a "lefty" also..)
    sewnchine

  14. #14
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,759
    Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I have a very similar macine that I purchased at an antique mall for just $75. It actually works after I purchased a new leather belt from our local Mennonite sewing machine shop. Mine has a piece of metal with the word White in large metal scrollwork across the back support above the tredle. What I found interesting in your photo was the piece of fabric wrapped around the crosspiece of the machine at the top. Mine has that also. It was an improvised pincushion the original owner probably made. There were still a few rusty pins and needles in it. There was even a box of attachments in one of the little drawers.
    There is few pins in it, although I didn't find any extra goodies in the drawers like I did in the other treadle cabinet I have. But none the less it's a keeper.

  15. #15
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,759
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnchine
    Hi Chase,
    Your FR113847 was made in 1906.

    love your tag line!

    Carol in Mid-Mich (a "lefty" also..)
    sewnchine
    Thanks. :)

  16. #16
    Senior Member sewsue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    567
    Wow you are so lucky just love it.

  17. #17
    Bobbinwinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnchine
    Are you familiar with the TreadleOn group? www.treadleon.net
    It is a great list for those interested in collecting and USING treadle and handcrank sewing machines. Lots of help available there for all makes and models, and also a great place to post a want for needed parts. Very friendly folks.
    Carol in Mid-Mich :))
    sewnchine
    They are a great group! Be careful...it's as easy to become addicted to that site as it is to this one...LOL. But it is so much FUN, and you can get as much information as you want...nice folks with great attitudes!

    Your "new" addition is fantastic...lots to work with on this one...and I've always loved the curves on those drawers...beautiful cabinet...BEAUTIFUL...heavy as lead but looks like a LADY! Just think how nice it will be to have her purrin' while you sit in front of her letting her do what she was meant to do! Treadles are wonderful!

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    What a beauty. Great anniversary present.

  19. #19
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,503
    Very nice. I love old fashioned things.

  20. #20
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    Love it! Looks just like the one my grandmother had. My uncle put a motor on it for my aunt back in the 50's. Don't know what happened to it after my aunt died.

  21. #21
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    to die for!!!!

  22. #22
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    She's beautiful!!! What a wonderful gift!!

  23. #23
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    nice

  24. #24
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    Wow, I love your sewing machine and cabinet. Have you sewn on her yet?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.