Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My (Almost) Free Sewing Set Up >

My (Almost) Free Sewing Set Up

My (Almost) Free Sewing Set Up

Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Neat set-up, and a great price! :)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM

You did such a great job. It's wonderful that your parents were able to be "involved" in the setup. It looks AWESOME.

debra
Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Looks like you are going to enjoy sewing!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Love the foam board idea! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM

I really like this. I have a cabinet that had a machine that was so broken that I had to dispose of it. Maybe I could make this fit one of my other machines. Foam board, is it like plywood? Yours looks so nice, like it was made for that machine. Take a lot of work? Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by manley
I really like this. I have a cabinet that had a machine that was so broken that I had to dispose of it. Maybe I could make this fit one of my other machines. Foam board, is it like plywood? Yours looks so nice, like it was made for that machine. Take a lot of work? Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Foam board (sometimes called foam core) is more like styrofoam with a coated surface. It is used for flush mounting graphic prints and such, so I would imagine you could get it at any store that does framing, but I'm not 100% sure. The cabinet came with a wooden piece that was not fitted right, but there are little "tabs" for it to rest on. It was 3/4 inch thick so I glued a 1/2 and a 1/4 inch piece of foam board on top of each other with spray adhesive to make it the correct thickness. Before I glued I measured the opening and cut it (making sure it was big enough to fit tight) Then, I placed my machine on top of the boards and traced it. I cut it out, again, making sure it would be a tight fit. I cut the back side out completely so I could slide it on from the front and be able to reach my hand in to turn it on. I can't access the feed dogs switch unless I remove the board, but I could always just cover them to quilt. I used a utility knife to do this. It was tricky. I am very skilled with the knife though, because of my graphic design background. I cannot tell you how many times I have cut foam board and matte board so BE CAREFUL if you attempt to do this.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments :-)
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM

I did not even notice the foam board part at first...that looks great, and even more important I bet it sews great! :thumbup:
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Good for you, a nice place to work.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Very clever and so functional too :D:D:D
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by bri1977
The machine was given to me by a friend of my Dad's. The cabinet was a "free if you haul" deal that my Mom found in the paper. I bought some 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch foam board from Hobby Lobby. I cut it to fit the free arm of my machine. That cost about $7. I have some vinyl which cost around $5 that I'm going to put down over the entire surface to make moving my quilts easier. Just thought I'd share :)
Looks perfect. What luck to find such a good table online. Happy quilting/sewing to you. :thumbup: