Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Cutting Table

When I lived in my last house, I had a 3 ft island which made cutting easier on my back. In my new house, I have just the regular table, which has been a killer. I haven't done quilts with excessive cutting since it's too hard to lean over (and I don't have enough control sitting down). DH bought a custom work bench on Craigslist and I thought "I wish I had something like that to cut on" and then, duh, I ordered one like that from the guy. He was really nice, I got such a great deal on it. It's about 4 ft tall, and I can cut so much easier now. And the guy even added a shelf which my scrap box lives on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    That is a great table! You are right, bending over is not good. I cut on an old farm table, and I'm trying to figure out how to raise it up some but still have it rock solid so I can cut more easily.

Unfortunately, our kitchen counters are covered with tile which is not smooth -- it's bumpy -- so that is not an option.

That is such a good idea!! I always have a hard time with cutting. I'll have to look into a higher table like this.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    nice looking solid table

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    That is a great table! You are right, bending over is not good. I cut on an old farm table, and I'm trying to figure out how to raise it up some but still have it rock solid so I can cut more easily.

Unfortunately, our kitchen counters are covered with tile which is not smooth -- it's bumpy -- so that is not an option.
    Many folks here talk about the bed risers you can buy.

Blog Entries
    LOL 4ft tall. I would need a step stool. I am barely 5 ft myself. I have the problem of tables being too tall. But I like that you were able to get what you needed made for you.

Nice.

Great table, but those are ALL your scraps!!??? I must have 6 bins like that!!

Great table!

Love your table!

Love it! I cut on the floor which kills my back if I do it too long

Blog Entries
    love your cutting table, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
    LOL 4ft tall. I would need a step stool. I am barely 5 ft myself. I have the problem of tables being too tall. But I like that you were able to get what you needed made for you.
    I'm 5'4". So it's slightly too tall (DH is going to trim it down a few inches) but it's soooooo much better than the stooping.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    Great table, but those are ALL your scraps!!??? I must have 6 bins like that!!
    I've only been quilting for 5 years. And I'm trying to use up my scraps. The stuff on top is the cut up stuff. I do have a closet full of whole fabric :D :D

I love your new table and I know you will really enjoy it.

My DH made riser blocks for my table and I can raise it up when I am doing a lot of cutting. Sure saves the back.

I have a regular banquet table, but put it on "bed risers" to make it higher. PERFECT for me. It is very stable and I have had no issues with it. To make a banquet table a custom heighth, (this takes some math here!), use PVC plumbing pipe and insert the legs of a banquet table into them. For me that is about 13 inches each leg...although the length of the leg from the bend to the floor will determine how long to cut your PVC pipes.
    Step one: stand at the table with it also standing. determine how many inches higher you would like it to be.
    Step two: measuer the leg of the table from the bend to the floor.
    Step three: add these two measurements together to determine how long to cut your PVC pipes.
    When all four legs are inserted in the PVC pipes, be sure to adjust (or torque?) the legs out for the most stability.

If you want you can then duct tape a piece of fabric around the table and you will have a large amount of storage under the table that is hidden.

I have a regular banquet table, but put it on "bed risers" to make it higher. PERFECT for me. It is very stable and I have had no issues with it. To make a banquet table a custom heighth, (this takes some math here!), use PVC plumbing pipe and insert the legs of a banquet table into them. For me that is about 13 inches each leg...although the length of the leg from the bend to the floor will determine how long to cut your PVC pipes.
    Step one: stand at the table with it also standing. determine how many inches higher you would like it to be.
    Step two: measuer the leg of the table from the bend to the floor.
    Step three: add these two measurements together to determine how long to cut your PVC pipes.
    When all four legs are inserted in the PVC pipes, be sure to adjust (or torque?) the legs out for the most stability.

If you want you can then duct tape a piece of fabric around the table and you will have a large amount of storage under the table that is hidden.

Blog Entries

Bed risers work good (15-20$ from walmart) for holding up tables.

Blog Entries
    (You can tell I posted before reading all of these wonderful comments about bed risers). Have you thought of the bed risers on your table legs. They are extremely solid and should help about 4-6 inches in height. I saw a post on this board of someone doing that and they were delighted with results. Good luck.

Great table. My husband made me one like that using an old kitchen table top. Then he used a board around the bottom and made it the right heigth for me. It has a shelf in it too. I nailed fabric around it so I can hide a big mess. Now I gotta get off the computer and use it. Enjoy. :thumbup:

It is great to be able to cut without straining your back. Great table!

Blog Entries
    Awesome table :D:D:D