Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My dad gave me these old quilts... >

My dad gave me these old quilts...

My dad gave me these old quilts...

Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM

barn honey, it is just me, but i use all my old quilts. i have one of my grandmas quilts that i sometimes use on my bed and at night i just fold it and put it on a chair. that way i dont have to wash it. it is important to me to have the old quilts close. the memories they hold are too precious to pack away. if i haven't loved them to pieces my kids can snuggle when it is their turn.

8) 8) 8) THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE MINE ALONE AND I KNOW SOME WILL HEARTILY DISAGREE. 8) 8) 8)
no quilt police :wink:
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
barn honey, it is just me, but i use all my old quilts. i have one of my grandmas quilts that i sometimes use on my bed and at night i just fold it and put it on a chair. that way i dont have to wash it. it is important to me to have the old quilts close. the memories they hold are too precious to pack away. if i haven't loved them to pieces my kids can snuggle when it is their turn.

8) 8) 8) THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE MINE ALONE AND I KNOW SOME WILL HEARTILY DISAGREE. 8) 8) 8)
no quilt police :wink:
Some would, but I totally agree. Keep the memories close I say!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Nana, I totally agree w/you. I have several that are very old, all hand quilted and in good shape. I have used them on small bed in guest room and have some on quilt rack. They have been in washer and dryer, gently done and came out fine. I tell those that I make them for to use them too. :D
Old 01-22-2008, 03:56 PM

The top one is a butterfly block . I have some like that , I found in my Mom's cedar chest, she said her mom made them and didn't finish putting them together. So I took them and made a small quilt for my daughter when she was a baby. Elaine
Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I sent pictures to my cousin in NC so she can show them to my aunt.

So far having them makes me think of how much I miss Gram and sharing my quilts with her. Sigh... :(
Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Your 3rd one is called birds in the air. I'm just finishing a lap quilt and using a version of that.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Ah, that's the variant of the 'slanted star' I was looking for. It makes perfect sense too when you look at the flight going on (flying geese). It's hard to remember all the patterns, I think you could study for years and still not know half of it.

Combined 'em then, check out this link as well as the star link above:

http://www.commonthreadsohio.org/Exchanges/birdsInAir.htm

I know I've seen the full pattern somewhere but well, the old gray cells they ain't what they use to be.
:wink:
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM

What treasures!