Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My dual purpose cutting table

RST
    Blog Entries
    My sewing room doubles as a guest room, so I need to make the most of the space. My solution was to buy an Ikea Hemnes trundle day bed (twin size but pulls out to be a full king). I got mine from the as-is section for 40% off, which made it about $200 for a very useful piece of furniture.

A hollow core door ($20 unfinished) fits perfectly on top of the side rails of the bed, making a large cutting table. For me, it's exactly the right height ergonomically for cutting, though I'm tall, so for some people this will be too high.

When the room is in quilting mode, I can store extra fabric, batting, and WIP on the bed, below the cutting surface.

When used as a bed, I stash the hollow core door in the closet -- it's very light weight and easy enough to move.

The bed also has full drawers underneath, which are still full functioning drawers when it's pulled out into king size. I use these drawers for fabric storage, of course.

Ikea bed doing dual purpose as a cutting table
    Name:  Attachment-108632.jpe
Views: 651
Size:  55.6 KB

Blog Entries
    clever! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Necessity is the mother of invention and you seem to have invented a perfect solution. Looks nice, too. And I love the view out of the window.

Blog Entries
    I love your creativity! :D:D:D

Brilliant idea! :thumbup:

Very inventive!! I like ideas like this!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

I am totally impressed!! :thumbup: I have been setting up my guest bedroom as a sewing room, too, and have been disappointed that due to lack of room I would have to do my cutting in the dining room. BUT...you just might have given me the solution. I have a daybed in the room and I will be investigating whether the hollow door idea will work for me, too! Keeping my fingers crossed...thanks!!!!

Good idea...

I am building a new sewing room right now. I was thinking about putting in a Murphy Bed. I could pull it down from the wall when I need it for guest or to lay out a quilt. I think I could put a shelf on the wall side, and that would be the foot of the bed.

Pretty clever.

I too use a hallow core door as a cutting table, smooth and already finished- light to move around. Have had it for 25 yrs.(omg that makes me feel way to old) I have it sitting on top of two saw horses that you cut your own legs for so was able to make it the height that works best for me. (Don't get back aches) Ran a strip of hot glue on the top of the saw horse, not to glue anything down but to make it skid proof. Lots of storage underneath for plastic storage drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    My sewing room doubles as a guest room, so I need to make the most of the space. My solution was to buy an Ikea Hemnes trundle day bed (twin size but pulls out to be a full king). I got mine from the as-is section for 40% off, which made it about $200 for a very useful piece of furniture.

A hollow core door ($20 unfinished) fits perfectly on top of the side rails of the bed, making a large cutting table. For me, it's exactly the right height ergonomically for cutting, though I'm tall, so for some people this will be too high.

When the room is in quilting mode, I can store extra fabric, batting, and WIP on the bed, below the cutting surface.

When used as a bed, I stash the hollow core door in the closet -- it's very light weight and easy enough to move.

The bed also has full drawers underneath, which are still full functioning drawers when it's pulled out into king size. I use these drawers for fabric storage, of course.

Power Poster
    Great idea!

I have the same problem with my sewing room and now I can do the same with my futon bed.Great idea....Now I have to get large totes to clear out the room for my guest that are coming.What a pain.Everything out.

Cool idea!

Great Idea!!!!

Blog Entries
    great idea, thanks for sharing with us!

I was just thinking the hollow door would make a cool design wall and just cover with flannel!

Hummm, now I need to use our truck to go to town!

could get 2 and set them up side by side for a nice wall

Great idea! No more using the dining table to do cutting! :)

I'm really excited about this section, what a clever use of space!

We all struggle with different limitations in our quilting area, so what a great idea!

Thanks RST! :)

LOVE your ideas! "getting by with the basics" VERY CREATIVE! It surely would save a tone of moolah!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Great Idea

What a clever idea. Very nice.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    That's perfect! My cousin and I were talking the other day and she said she was trying to figure out how to make a guest room that could double as her sewing room, without all the hassles...so I sent her the link. I've been trying to get her to join the board and maybe now she will see how much fun and help it is...

RST
    Blog Entries
    I really wanted to use a Murphy bed -- that was my first idea, but the cost of even a basic set-up was above what I wanted to spend right now -- maybe someday.

I've been thinking of making one side of the door a large padded ironing surface, and keeping the other plain for cutting. I actually have a nice big design wall (80" square) on the wall. When guests come, we use flannel letters to spell out a welcome message, and I might stick a few work in progress decorative blocks up as wall art. I used the high density foam insulation panels from the hardware store, covered with a very thin batting and a white flannel in the widest width I could find, all wrapped around to the back and hot glued. On my "maybe someday" list I plan to frame it with some wood molding to make it look a little more finished and tied in with the room.

Blog Entries
    Stunning success, and a view to boot.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    What a great idea!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast