Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Estate Sale HAUL >

My Estate Sale HAUL

My Estate Sale HAUL

Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM

It really is true "we can't take it with us".
Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 PM

It looks like you scored big. It sure makes us jubilant when we find great stuff at a good price. I would probably be most excited about the box of squares...just cannot help love scraps.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM

So very sad. Her passion just sold for pennies. So glad that you came to the rescue.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM

That book..by Barbara Brackman..Encyclopedia of Quilt Patterns. It a treasure for sure. When I bought mine I paid $75 and the next time I looked it was $400. Your lucky.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM

good for you but it makes me sad that non quilters don't know what they have
enjoy
Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM

They were lucky you were able to help them with pricing. Non-quilters have no idea of the value of quilts. Glad they reciprocated and gave you a good deal.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
First of all, let me commend you for having the honesty and integrity to assist the family members by being up front with them on pricing. And then a big WHOOP of excitement for your haul.
Me as well pays to be honest at all times.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Yeah..I'm going to be having words with the 'lady' who bought the quilts, she knew how much those were worth and didn't say a penny and when she asked if $20 was reasonable she said "I think so"....It's one thing haggle and get something cheap...but to me that was just dishonest...not something I could have done..although I will be taking the embroidery machine off their hands for pennies on the dollar, but I did tell them what it was worth on ebay before we settled on a price!
Actually, yard sales and estate sales are like their own little world. $20 for a quilt at one of the above is about right--IMO. Of course it is dirt cheap, but the idea behind the two is to get rid of their stuff. If not, they should look into auctions or consignment, or try selling on ebay or someplace where people who are actually in the know will shop. It is what keeps yard salers going--looking for the great haul. I once bought a whole tote of fabric (a big luggage tote..not a 32 quart one), for $20. I don't consider that I stole the fabric, but it was literally pennies a yard.

If I were the buyer, I'd be pretty upset at you for coming to me to tell me I'd cheated the sellers. If I paid what they asked for, I'd consider both of us happy.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM

We had an estate sale when my mother passed and I literally went thru the house before the estate people and took out the things family members wanted. They were all welcome to go thru the house to take what they wanted, but felt ghoulish about it, so just told me what they wanted. I saved certain items, I told a several old book stores that my parents frequented they had passed and to come by the house - but never did until the estate people contacted them. There were over 5,000 books - they did not believe me - when they got there they all said how they were surprised by the amount of books, there was enough to open an actual bookstore, but we didn't have time.

When someone dies you have a couple months to liquidate the assets, so you sell what you can at very low prices. Do they buyers get bargains? Yes, do you really have a choice? I don't think so. And I don't want to talk about the art work they spent thousands of dollars and we go little or nothing for it. Time are tough and now people have very little money for extras. So they are not going to spend a lot of money at an estate or yard sale. If you charge too much people just walk away, and so something is better than nothing. If you don't have a dead line - that would be nice. But very few people have a lot of time, so thank you all for shopping the estate sales and please do not feel bad for buying the bargains.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

Well I'm sure SQ would be pleased her stuff is going to someone who will use it and treasure it. I hope when my time comes my quilting stuff will find a good home too. In my travels, I have encountered dealers who know exactly what an item is worth and will intentionally mislead people into practically giving things away...Well done being honest.....a lot of people do get great bargains at estate sales, which is fair enough...but some people do take liberties.