Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Favorite Things - son made his second quilt top >

My Favorite Things - son made his second quilt top

My Favorite Things - son made his second quilt top

Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Love it, great idea!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 AM

He did a great job and what a cutie he is!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:56 AM

He did a great job!! You should be very proud of him. He is learning and helping others at the same time. Good for him!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie View Post
Your grandson is a very nice looking boy and his quilt is beautiful! He did a great job!
Thanks. He's my son, though...not grandson. I did feel like the grandma in the room, however, when I gave birth at 35. All the other women in the room were 20 -22 and having their first. He was my fifth (recovery room had 6 women in it)...in Poland.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Very nice, son! I had some of that apple fabric, but I cut it up into 'I Spy' charms and swapped it. I really enjoyed it in a strip like that. I aslo like the strong use of black on your borders. Looking forward to seeing what you sew next (hoping it's start to finish)! .
I have to comment here.

He recently learned how to thread the machine, deal with issues relating to fabric being pulled down into the throat, holding the fabrics together tightly so that they don't move on him, he pricked his finger with the needle today, drawing blood.

I think that small successes bring feelings of confidence. Since many people here use a long arm quilter and still say it is their quilt, I have no problem with him just doing the front/top at this point in his sewing career.

When he gets more confident with sewing a straight seam, consistency, etc, then I will have him use the walking foot and quilt one of his tops--esp. a smaller one. But until then, I consider the confidence he gets from finishing a top well, good enough for now.

Failures, bunched up backs, pleats bring feelings of "failure" and I don't think he needs that now. So, for at least a few more, I am sure I will quilt them for him. (I am not sure what you were saying with "from start to finish"...but I (mom) took it to mean that he had to quilt it too--). I am more concerned with a finished look that he isn't ashamed of in front of his peers than his doing the quilting at this point.

The one he's doing now is a Batman theme. Then, we want to do something with Dr. Who.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM

Awesome! My daughter just made her first quilt (placemat size) with FMQ and binding and everything. She is 43! How wonderful that your son is enjoying it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Ha! What woman wouldn't love him? He sews!!! Cute quilt.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Wow... how good is he!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

How great is that when a 16 year old boy will sew a quilt top! Tell him congratulations on a very nice quilt!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:23 PM

I like it - alot! Did he design it himself? It's definitely a great 'guy' quilt. Super fabric choices! It gets your attention, but it doesn't overwhelm the eyes.