Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first Barn Quilt

Blog Entries
    Saw my first and hopefully, not my last - BARN QUILT - on a barn on Hwy 60 - in western Kentucky - not far from Missouri. We went to see our DD in Paducah this past weekend. Also went to Hancocks of Paducah also - more pictures later.

barn quilt
    Name:  Attachment-84286.jpe
Views: 168
Size:  41.6 KB

Cool!!! :D

Blog Entries
    I can see a quilt of the "barn" complete with the quilt!

Haven't seen any barn quilts down here in Louisiana. I was thinking of making some on a smaller scale to hang on my fence. I'm in a restricted subdivision so I'd have to put them in my backyard where no one else could see them but I could still enjoy them.

Very nice.

That must be a new painting! Where exactly did you see it? Near Wycliffe??

Blog Entries
    Wycliffe sounds familiar - somewhere between MO and Paducah on Hwy 60.

Blog Entries
    cool, thanks for sharing with us

I love these pictures of barns. I discovered an interestng website. followthequilttrail.com

That's so cool!

I'll be around Paducah this Sept. to see a dear friend and will be on the lookout for quilts on barns!! Thanks for the pic!

I live in North Central KY and they are quite popular here too. I would love to have one but no barn. I have noticed some on posts in peoples front yards too.

Wonderful. I would like to see more of these across the U.S.

Last summer we had left my hometown of Henderson, Ky and had stopped for gas around Hopkinsville. Across the hwy from gas stat. was a faded barn with quilt block on it! The block was a bit faded as well, but not so bad that I could still take a picture of it! It was like a diamond in the rough, all around was dried up farmland, then a burst of color! It was so unexpected! :)

Saw my first and hopefully, not my last - BARN QUILT - on a barn on Hwy 60 - in western Kentucky - not far from Missouri. We went to see our DD in Paducah this past weekend. Also went to Hancocks of Paducah also - more pictures later.

Barn quilts are rampant throughout Kentucky. They are especially prevalent in the middle to eastern part. They are gradually spreading westward though. I live in northwestern Kentucky on the Ohio border; in Daviess County KY. Our local Extension Office has coupled with the homemakers and some of the members of my quilt guild to make and sell Barn Quilts for what it costs to make them. They just began in August and already have almost 30 contracts signed and ready to be painted and installed. We are thrilled! The state of Kentucky has a website through the Kentucky Arts Council that gives you maps and sometimes addresses of barn quilts. Our committee orders the special light-weight metal and paint especially for this purpose from a company in Chicago. If you google Kentucky Barn quilts, you can read all about them and find locations. Ours are not there yet, but hope to be by this summer. We love them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool.....my parents live in Ohio and they have a quilt on their barn.....i need to get a pic from her

I went to Muscatine, Iowa over Labor Day. As I turned off the main road, 218, I noticed several barn quilts on the road to 61. I also so some on the way to Kalona, Iowa, too. Nice site to see.

I had DH read over this topic & he agrees that this may be a future road trip though these States one year. I would just love to see these Barns!

Quilt Barns first began in Ohio. From what I've read they've spread all across the US. Kentucky has a ton of them. I absolutely am fascinated by them. My husband and I go on Sat-Sun drives looking for them. I take pictures when we find them. You can check the Owensboro Area Quilt Guild's page on facebook. I've posted the pictures of the ones I have found on there.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    There are apparently several along US 60. I saw one Thursday a few miles east of Morganfield. Didnt' have camera with me though.

I can't start on mine until the weather gets a bit warmer. I have to do it in hubby's barn and it's a tad breezy out there right now.

google Union County, Kentucky & Barn quilt and you'll find this. There is a picture attached but it din't copy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    The Union County Quilt Trail

The Union County Quilt Trail Project is officially underway.

The first quilt square, painted on a specialized aluminum board, has been hung on a building next to the Mike Delamar home on US 60 between Morganfield and Waverly.

Those interested in having a quilt square adorn their home, barn or any outdoor structure should call Vicki Ricketts at the Museum, 389-4420; Melanie Bealmear at the Extension Office, 389-1400; or Paul Monsour, Union County First-Tourism, 952-1191.

There is a $225 one time fee for an eight foot by eight foot square and a $125 fee for a four foot by foot square. The fee covers the cost of the board, paint and other necessary supplies and there is no built in profit. The painting is done by volunteers. The first painting measures four feet by four feet.

The only other requirements are that the square be visible from the road or highway and the person asking for the quilt square supply the design.

The organizers of the local project are in hopes of establishing a quilt trail through the county and use it to attract visitors and promote tourism.

The painting will take place at various locations, including the Museum, Old National Bank basement and the Henshaw Community Center

Jim
    Im in Bardstown Kentucky...in a 60 mile radius, I know of about 20 barn quilts..I understand that there are books out about barn quilts and even maps that you can purchase to travel throughout the country finding them. Our County extension office sells the kits for barn owners to paint their quilts on and records them for a fee. I am in an subdivision under a Home owners association that wouldnt allow a barn but I am putting up a barn quilt on my garden shed this spring(a smaller condensed version)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Im in Bardstown Kentucky...in a 60 mile radius, I know of about 20 barn quilts..I understand that there are books out about barn quilts and even maps that you can purchase to travel throughout the country finding them. Our County extension office sells the kits for barn owners to paint their quilts on and records them for a fee. I am in an subdivision under a Home owners association that wouldnt allow a barn but I am putting up a barn quilt on my garden shed this spring(a smaller condensed version)
    Way to go on the smaller quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    Haven't seen any barn quilts down here in Louisiana. I was thinking of making some on a smaller scale to hang on my fence. I'm in a restricted subdivision so I'd have to put them in my backyard where no one else could see them but I could still enjoy them.
    Sounds like a great idea to liven up a fence.

Beautiful barn quilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast