Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My First Celtic Block >

My First Celtic Block

My First Celtic Block

Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 PM

Beaitiful also looking forward to your other blocks!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Lovely Sharon, I love Celtic patterns, I have made curtain Tie Backs done in cross stitch in a Celtic Design they look great even if I say so myself, I get many compliments.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Lovely!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM

nice will want to see the finished quilt.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM

neat...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
You did a great job. I will look forward to seeing other blocks. Love these colors.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Several have asked me questions of making the Celtic block and I am posting a short How to here. If I have left something out or others have suggestions please feel free to add...

This is what I did:

The background block was cut at 15" square.

The bias was cut from a fat quarter.. folded on the bias... I cut 1 1/4" strips and then ironed them into thirds.. making the bias strips 3/8".
*What I did because I didn't have the medal or plastic bars for making bias... I cut a strip from the fat quarter cardboard at 3/8" *
Then using my mini iron I placed the strip in the middle of the bias cut strip on wrong side and folded one side over and then the other and pressed as I went along. That seemed easiest for me. I could sit using a small ironing board (or you can make something that will allow you to press on) set up on a TV tray.

Once I pressed one strip.. I wrapped it onto a empty paper towel tube or you could use toilet paper tube as well. Stuck a pin at the end to keep it on. Continued on using the biggest to the smallest ... you will not need all the bias cuttings, I just did them because I was not sure.

After you have gotten all your bias pieces pressed and rolled onto a tube, you trace out the pattern onto your 15" block.

Then the fun part starts! Placing the bias onto the design! I found small applique needles worked well.

*I was told to have the bias raw edge (looking from the
backside)at the top , not the folded edge.*

I started in the center where a crossover would be, leaving a 1/4" that would be under the crossover piece once there.

You will want to place your bias strip along the pattern to see how far it will go, as you want to stop only where there is a crossover that will hide the ends where you stop. Again leaving 1/4" extra for the crossover to cover.

What I found worked for me was ... once I got to a crossover (pinning across the strip as I went along) I would then baste that part using a thread you can see. take out the pins and continue on the next bias strip... continuing this way until all of the design is placed with bias.

Next, and I was told this was important as well, to start appliqueing in the inside of the design all the way around.... then after... sew the outside edge all the way around.

I used YLI silk thread #100 and it was great! Try to find a color that is near to your bias as possible or a little darker.. you will be amazed at how it blends should you not catch it just right.

Let me know if this all makes sense to you.

Sharon
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM

A short Tutorial has been placed under the Tutorial section. Here is the link if you would like to look.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99184-1.htm

I have included some pictures as helps as well on page 2.

Sharon