Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My husband's quilt >

My husband's quilt

My husband's quilt

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM

I love it, and I agree with the others - adding more borders will bring it up to size.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Well, I just figured something out. I asked the quilter to machine sew on the binding. She said if she was to do that, she required she make the binding herself. That was fine with me; but as I'm looking at, I realize that she did a "self binding," using the border I'd put around the edge. I had given her extra fabric to use, but she took inches off the size of the quilt by doing this. No wonder it looks so small! Because there are two layers of batting, she made the binding extra wide, taking a full four inches off both the width and the length. I can't decide whether to be mad about this or not. Wouldn't you think that if you gave the quilter extra fabric for a binding, she would use it?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
No wonder it looks so small! Because there are two layers of batting, she made the binding extra wide, taking a full four inches off both the width and the length. I can't decide whether to be mad about this or not. Wouldn't you think that if you gave the quilter extra fabric for a binding, she would use it?
Well, I would be mad at her, and ask her where my fabric was, if she didn't return it with the finished quilt.

If you rip out the stitching she did on the border, will that make the quilt large enough? Will you have fabric for binding if you do take the machine stitching out to use the full size quilt you had made?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM

She did give back the extra fabric, but I didn't really look to see if she'd used it. Nothing looked amiss at the time. Live and learn.

I thought about taking out the stitching, but I don't have enough batting. She thought about the batting carefully, and used expensive wool batting because it was the most flexible (and it IS very warm). She gave me the extra batting, but to do all of that ripping and piecing seems formidable. I think I'd rather just make another quilt.

I still like the quilt. It's just too small for the purpose I had in mind when I made it. Besides, it gives me an excuse to make another one! I might even do this one again as those fish blocks went together pretty fast.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:44 AM

Could you maybe add an additional border, before you put on the binding? Might be an option.

But I do like the quilt. Nice and bright. :thumbup:
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

What a awesome quilt. I bet he'll love it
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and great suggestions.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 AM

If it were me... I would totally cut off the batting - instead of ripping since I absolutely abhor ripping - and then piece together more sides - but that's only if it bugs you. If it doesn't, then leave well enough alone - it's really sharp without it - what's not to love?? I'm sure he'll love it! It's a step up from two sheets sewn together - it's gorgeous!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 PM

I finally finished the binding and then lay (laid?) down on the bed with it. I think it will be big enough. It sure is warm with two layers of wool batting.