Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My latest little quilt for AAQI >

My latest little quilt for AAQI

My latest little quilt for AAQI

Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Leslie what a fantastic quilt! The curious one wants to know how you quilted it. I even enlarged the pic, but couldn't tell for sure. This would've been gone in a flash in Houston.
True confessions time -- I put just one line of quilting in the red border around the center section. With all of those seams, I just could not see doing anything across the whole quilt. I may add some hand stitching somewhere else, but my stitches are not small enough, normally, to do something in just one of those tiny squares or triangles.

What would you have done with this one?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM

This is tiny!!! Love it.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 AM

That's a wonderful little quilt! Not to be a dummy, but what is AAQI?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

It is lovely, and quite well named.

Cheers, K
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

How to quilt these little ones is always a dilema. Yes the stitching in the red would be my first step, too--I might have SID on the edges rather than in the middle. With the stitching down the middle I might straight stitch down the middle of the second row of checkerboards. I'm like you with the HQ stitching and absolutely worthless when arthritis bothers. How about tacking with regular thread a few corners in the broken dishes section and hide knots on the back? It would give some definition to the center and a balance of "quilting" in a subltle manner.
Have you ever used the 3 point zigzag (or serpentine) stitch for MQ? (On my Bernina I set the stitch width and length at 2 with this stitch.) I have found this to be very useful when cross hatch quilting a little quilt (ie log cabins) Not sure if you can see what I mean in this mini. These are 1/4 logs done a while ago (stitching has improved since then!) If I remember, the binding is just pinned in place so quilt isn't laying flat.
Attached Thumbnails lindas-lc.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
How to quilt these little ones is always a dilema. Yes the stitching in the red would be my first step, too--I might have SID on the edges rather than in the middle. With the stitching down the middle I might straight stitch down the middle of the second row of checkerboards. I'm like you with the HQ stitching and absolutely worthless when arthritis bothers. How about tacking with regular thread a few corners in the broken dishes section and hide knots on the back? It would give some definition to the center and a balance of "quilting" in a subltle manner.
Have you ever used the 3 point zigzag (or serpentine) stitch for MQ? (On my Bernina I set the stitch width and length at 2 with this stitch.) I have found this to be very useful when cross hatch quilting a little quilt (ie log cabins) Not sure if you can see what I mean in this mini. These are 1/4 logs done a while ago (stitching has improved since then!) If I remember, the binding is just pinned in place so quilt isn't laying flat.
Good ideas! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
That's a wonderful little quilt! Not to be a dummy, but what is AAQI?
No dumb questions here! AAQI is the Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative, a nonprofit in Michigan. They collect donated mini quilts (no bigger than 9" by 12") and sell them to support research into Alzheimers disease. I don't know how to create a link -- visit alzquilts.org on the Web to learn more. The prices start at about $35 I think, and go on up. Right now, they have some pieces done by John Flynn while he's demonstrated the Flynn Frame at various shows. Very interesting to look at.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Brag away...you've earned right! That is a fabulous little quilt! And a great cause, thank you for your contributions.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost View Post
No dumb questions here! AAQI is the Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative, a nonprofit in Michigan. They collect donated mini quilts (no bigger than 9" by 12") and sell them to support research into Alzheimers disease. I don't know how to create a link -- visit alzquilts.org on the Web to learn more. The prices start at about $35 I think, and go on up. Right now, they have some pieces done by John Flynn while he's demonstrated the Flynn Frame at various shows. Very interesting to look at.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Thank you for the info Leslie - a very worthy cause! It turns out that I did know what the Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative was... just didn't put the acronym together in my mind. They are going to LOVE your quilt. It is inspiring to look through their site. I plan to make them a mini pictorial quilt this next year.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by texpat45 View Post
Brag away...you've earned right! That is a fabulous little quilt! And a great cause, thank you for your contributions.
Pat, your quote in your signature line is hilarious and so true!