Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My own quilt - first one for myself

Great job! I, too know what you mean about time consuming with the embroidery. I did a Winnie the Pooh single for my friend and that took every spare moment for a month to get done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by aliceg

Is there anyone else that makes this type of quilt - I would like to hear what designs you use.
    I LOVE your quilt!! That's alot of time and work.

I did one on my embroidery machines.. had both of them going at the same time and had both break down on me a various times, but it took me about 2-3 months to make mine. It's an oversized queen/ almost a king.

Mine is rag blocks and each one has a design or scripture or something meaningful to my DH and I.

Oversized Rag Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-145883.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  78.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is alot of work. I thought having an embroidery machine would be soo easy peasy, push a button and voila!! No, it is time consuming, but so worth it! Your quilt is georgous, and I love what others have posted too.

Your quilt is amazing!!!! I am in ahhh.

wow that is beautiful, worth every stich.

Blog Entries
    That is so beautiful, and it has soooo much work in it you must be very proud of it. I would be.

I do machine embroidery also. But I haven't had the nerve to do a quilt yet. But I did buy a pattern from Cactus Shak Embroiidery called "Vintage Western" by Betty White that is embroidered on your block then you slide your batting and backing under your embroidery and it does echo quilting around the embroidery. It's a quilt as you go. you might want to check them out.

Blog Entries
    Very nice!!!

Beautiful quilt!!!

Beautiful job! Alot of stitches.

I have just finished a Fisherman Fred and Sunbonnet Sue quilt with 72 blocks - each one different. Most squares have more than 30,000 stitches - therefore it is $30.00 per square. It took me three months of embroidery and I'm sure my great granddaughters will enjoy it also.

I have enough squares left to make a runner for my dresser. Not selling this one.

Is there anyone else that makes this type of quilt - I would like to hear what designs you use.
    Not machine embordiery, but I did make a king-size 'Windblown' Sunbonnet Sue using hand applique' & hand embrodiery...took me quite a while as well. I show it here folded in 4ths and laying on a queen-size bed in the pics below. Probably won't make another one...

Closeup of a block
    Name:  Attachment-116692.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  963.3 KB

Folded in quarters laying on queen size bed
    Name:  Attachment-116693.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  1.07 MB

Love it!

I love it. Where did you get the designs?

I can't even imagine what all that thread cost. I doubt that you could get back the supply cost plus the labor cost. I can see why you are keeping it for yourself. It's a beaut.

Blog Entries
    great job. I am glad we are making things for us as well as for others. So times we just focus on others and forget about us.. We like quilts too.

Don't do much machine embroidery, but love Sunbonnet Sue. Your quilt is beautiful and something to be very proud of. You did a super job! Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful, I love sunbonnet sue and fishman Fred. Where did you get the designs?

I love it!!!

Blog Entries

Your quilt is just beautiful!! I also machine embroidery so know the time and patience it took to do this labor of love :D
    It was a treat for me to see your quilt and all the others that were shared on this link. Also thank you ergranny46 for the tip on Cactus Shak. Thank you all for sharing.
    [IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...orkshop010.jpg[/IMG]

I love doing machine embroidery on my quilts. I just finished the Pictogram quilt and will be posting pictures as soon as I get them. I have all my blocks done, except for the center, for the Latte Quilt, so hopefully I will have that finished soon.
    I love doing baby quilts with embroidery designs, too, and have just made 2 of them. 1 is finished and one needs to be sandwiches and quilted.
    I would love to know where you go your designs. I haven't seen them before and I love them.

I'm no fan of Sunbonnet Sue in the pastel, so it's never been an attraction to me but those deep colors have converted me. It is absolutely beautiful.

I love your quilt! I have many of those same designs plus MANY other themed sets that I plan to use for quilt tops. So many, in fact, that I very rarely purchase designs any more. I have quite a lot of embroidery done, but have not sewn the blocks together for quilt tops yet. Life keeps getting in the way and, as a result, it takes me "forever" to complete a quilt. Nearly 2 years ago, I did complete one with Embroidery Library's patchwork animals and sent it off to a small boy. It turned out very well, I thought. I posted a picture on this board at the time.

Love the quilt! My parents have that bed (and the dressers that go with it)!

nice quilt thanks for sharing

nice quilt thanks for sharing

I made all the blocks first - placed them on the floor to arrange design - Winter ones together, dancing together, etc. Then sewed them in pairs and did the larger trim. I then quilted on my machine. I don't like quilting around the design - and this way the quilt is softer and fluffier to my taste anyway. I've made a few - giving a lap away to a silent auction for a MS fund raiser.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast