Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My practice section >

My practice section

My practice section

Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM

I made up extra blocks to practice making blocks and putting sashing around them. This is my very first attempt at this. So I am looking for all ideas and helping hints to make these right. I did not want to chance ruining my actual blocks, by having to seam rip all the time.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163107.jpe  
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Sorry all, I forgot to attach the picture the first time.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM

I like the blocks :) Have you actually attached the sashing yet? If not, how about using a yellow for sashing and a red for the square? Something to make it "pop" :) Good job so far.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Well, when you sew on your sashing it looks like you will lose your points on your half square triangles.

HTH
Old 01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I agree with NikkiLu, there should be 1/4 of fabric past the white points on the blocks. If it's your first try, this looks odd, but it's the way it should be. You didn't maybe trim this off, did you?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Overall you are doing good. You really need to watch matching up your corners and points. Each "intersection" needs to be carefully nested together, pinned, and sewn to be sure that they come out lined up correctly. Your seams need to match up. Try pressing each block and sashing strip as you sew them together...it makes it much easier to get the seams to match up when the piece is pressed flat. Don't forget to pin everything, especially since you are a beginner. You'll get it....it just takes practice.

Oh, after looking again, you MUST maintain 1/4" seams so that each little square of your block comes out to the same size as all the others.

Keep going. It gets easier.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM

great job just remember to press,press,press after sewing each seam and match your seam lines,I've been sewing for 45 years and the seam ripper is still my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!
good job
Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Looks good KatiesMom is right PRESS is your best friend.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, as this will be the only way I will know what I am going wrong, need to do, or watch for. This is my first attempt at a quilt using a rotary cutter, and a actual design (not just squares sewed in a row) at all. I think the worse thing for me..is learning all this on my complete own. My grandma use to quilt, but by the time I got old enough to work with her..her health (alzheimers) was setting in. My other major issue is my machine. It is constantly breaking my thread and bunching up under my blocks. When I bought it, it was intended for only hems and patches..so we only paid $75.00 for it 5 years or so ago. (not worth taking it in for repairs...cost more to repair then the machine did ha ha ha)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM

The sashing is already attached..but this is the colors my daughter-in-law wanted..this will be her quilt. She knows this will be my first and plenty of oops in it..but as she said..it will be all the more special for her..