Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Roman Stripe

Just finished this yesterday. I bought the fabric in New Hampshire last summer on a trip and it took me this long to decide what to do with it. ( The bottom half looks the same, I just don't have the room to take a picture of a 78 X 90 quilt. )

Naturally, I ran low on the main black print so I didn't have enough for the boarder but maybe my quilter will perform magic. Now, I haven't a clue as to what to use for backing. Wouldn't black be too much? And trying to match the blacks would be a head ache. (I already tried that and just about ran my LQS out of what I did use on the boarder.)

There is a variety of yellows in the design. Would that be too garish? I'm baffled so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member Pineapple Princess's Avatar
    Very cool!

IMHO: I would use a blue for the backing. You could ask your quilter if she has a variegated thread with similar colors for the quilting. I just love it, and almost everything I have quilted is with variegated thread. I think it adds more depth and interest to the quilt.

Pam
    Very pretty.

Blog Entries
    I'd probably go with the orangy color or the blue.

Yellow would be ok on the back but do you have any of the other colors left? You could do a large four patch or crosswise strips of the other colors on the back. Break it up in uneven sections, then you don't have to worry about centering it.

I would bind it in black if you still have enough for that, since you're out of the flower print.

Your quilt is really pretty and I like the idea of somehow using all the colours by piecing your backing.

This is one of the prettiest Roman Stripe quilts I've seen. It is gorgeous.

I don't know what I'd do for backing. I guess just keep searching the old stash until I found something that said, "I'm the one you've been looking for!"

Wow, really pretty and cheerful!

wow awesome

Blog Entries
    awesome

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady
    Yellow would be ok on the back but do you have any of the other colors left? You could do a large four patch or crosswise strips of the other colors on the back. Break it up in uneven sections, then you don't have to worry about centering it.

I would bind it in black if you still have enough for that, since you're out of the flower print.
    That's an idea. I'll have to check tomorrow if I have enough of the colors left for a large 4 patch. And yes, I do have enough of the black with the print for the binding. I made that yesterday. Whew! Thanks. I like your idea better than the yellow. I wasn't thrilled to bring in another color.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    IMHO: I would use a blue for the backing. You could ask your quilter if she has a variegated thread with similar colors for the quilting. I just love it, and almost everything I have quilted is with variegated thread. I think it adds more depth and interest to the quilt.
    That would pull the colors together and I know she has it. She used it on one of my last quilts she did and it looked great. Thanks for the reminder.

Very nice!

Banned
    I really like the idea of piecing a back... use all your left over pieces and strip it together... make blocks... or be random. I love this idea.

And I will definitely use variegated thread if you would like me to. That is, if I am quilting it- no pressure... :)

I really think it turned out so very cute.

You should post your JohnDeer Quilt! She did a great job on it!

That is beautiful. What a great job. I love the fabrics you picked. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Very striking and really catches your eye. I love the colors. Thanks again for telling me about this site!

pretty!!

Gorgeous! Love the colors.

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

Blog Entries
    I love the Roman Stripe Quilts, but am a fan of the Amish colors. This one is very pretty. Did you use the strip method?

Very nice. :thumbup:

Banned
    How cool. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by TacoMama
    I love the Roman Stripe Quilts, but am a fan of the Amish colors. This one is very pretty. Did you use the strip method?
    The Amish design inspired ( ? ) me and yes I used a strip method. I sewed the 4 colors together then cut that into 4 triangles then sewed that on to the black triangle. A bit tricky - since I consider myself still taking major baby steps here - was working with the bias of the strips. I did not use a stablizer and perhaps I should have as that bias problem might not have been quite the problem it was.
    Thanks for asking. I'm working on the backing now and trying to figure out how to make up for the fabric I don't have. One thing after another............. lol. :wink:

Banned
    I like "Amish" coloring too and the tradition that grounds all quilting...

But...

I have to say, this is a really cute collection of color. I like the bold flash of light that it radiates. The fresh "in" style that makes sewing fun, this is just the "stuff" that help my girls love to sew- fresh, bold, flashy colors- I love how the black has just a hint of flash that support the other colors, yet, still keeps the traditional "Black" for a hint of traditional grounding.

So... I really like it, ... as well as my girls.

I'm happy to see the traditional piecing designs "POP" with new and exciting, non-traditional colors, style and feel.

NICE JOB!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast