Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My seascape quilt, "Flight Over Stormy Seas" >

My seascape quilt, "Flight Over Stormy Seas"

My seascape quilt, "Flight Over Stormy Seas"

Old 10-29-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by cindy4857
I wanna be you when I grow up. It is my dream to be able to create beautiful art with quilts and fabrics. How did you do it? So much detail, so very realistic, how did you even know where to start (that's my problem I don't have a clue where to start or how) Words can't even tell you how impressed I am. GREAT JOB!
Thank you for the kind comments, everyone!

It is hard to know where to start -- pretty much like starting to write an essay and staring at a blank page. I look at a lot of photographs in magazines and brochures and save the ones I love. Then I study them over and over again for inspiration. I am not a natural born artist and have no formal art training. Most of my art quilts are a composite of many photos.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by helenip
Awesome work! Wish I could see close up of the detail. I love doing pictorial/landscape quilts.
Helen
Here are closeups of the seagull and the stormy ocean. The ocean was made up of about five different water fabrics and the froth and foam effect was achieved with sparkly organzas and glitter tulle, which were fabric collaged onto the water fabrics.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by helenip
Awesome work! Wish I could see close up of the detail. I love doing pictorial/landscape quilts.
Helen
Sorry, helenip. I forgot the attachments.

seagull
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278658[/ATTACH]

stormy sea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278659[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278605.jpe   attachment-278606.jpe  
Old 10-29-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
Insure the package and DON"T list it as a quilt. list it as a bedspread or some kind of linens. Seems when you list as a quilt they disappear. heard that from alot of people. Its just beautiful
Thank you for this valuable tip. I had heard this once before, so thank you for the reminder!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by bepositive
WOW!!! Great job - that's beautiful! :thumbup: :thumbup: You can almost hear the waves crashing! :-D :-D
I just noticed your avatar. How timely and apropos!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Georgette
Your quilt is beautiful. I just purchased some books to learn to do pictorial or landscape quilts. I hope some day I can make some as nice as yours. Did you use a kit or is this all your own design? Either way your friend will love it.
Georgette
Thank you, Georgette. I am a huge fan of Nancy Zieman and Natalie Sewell, authors of "The Art of Landscape Quilting," and who have demonstrated their techniques on "Sewing with Nancy" on PBS. All my landscape and seascape quilts were inspired by them. Once you know the basic principles, you add your own style and touch to your art quilts. They seem to have a life of their own once you begin the creative process. So, no, this was not a kit, which would be too restrictive and predetermined.

The hardest part of a landscape or seascape quilt is fabric selection because you have to have the right values, hue and scale for all the various elements you will be collaging. Did I mention it helps to have a huge fabric stash? Construction and quilting are the easy part after that. All of this is challenging but, oh, so much fun!

You can do it, Georgette!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by susie601
Beautifully done. Wish I could see it closer up for the details you described. Beautiful!
Susie, I posted some closeup pictures earlier. Hope you see them.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
absolutely fabulous how did you do those large rocks under the light house or were they a piece of landscape fabric of rocks?
Thank you, Hosta.

I have a huge stash of yards and yards of rocks of all sizes, shapes and colors waiting for the right project. These large rocks in the foreground were cut from one fabric into various sizes to achieve the configuration I wanted. These individual pieces were butted together or overlapped and adhered with Mistyfuse to each other and collaged onto the background fabric with Mistyfuse. All the collaged pieces in the quilt were secured with invisible thread before quilting. Some of the rocks on the lower right-hand corner were embellished with crystals to add a little glitz to a boring section of the quilt.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
Originally Posted by susie601
Beautifully done. Wish I could see it closer up for the details you described. Beautiful!
Susie, I posted some closeup pictures earlier. Hope you see them.
I certainly did. Thank you for doing that. Your work is amazingly beautiful. I think its fabulous that you did the creating without a kit. I'm usually a follower and not a creator as well. See what you can do when you "just do it". Thanks for the tips on fabric selections as well. I'm a native CA girl who misses the ocean. The Gulf Coast is way too flat. I'll be looking forward to more of your work.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Beautiful!