Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My second Stack n Whack >

My second Stack n Whack

My second Stack n Whack

Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnye
It's fantastic.
I have looked at stack n whacks tutorials on you tube but I just can't get my head wrapped around the concept. I love all the stack n whack quilts I've seen, especially kaleidescopes. (I know, I'm dense.)
Any help on understanding stack n whacks would be appreciated.
Use fabric with 8 repeats, cut your fabric on the same point on each repeat until you have 8 exact pieces of fabric. Stack them up all 8 pieces of fabric. Then you find a spot like a point or something that when you pin it will go in exactly the same place on all 8 layers of fabric. Use flat head pins for this. You stick your pin straight down on the point you have selected, go through all layers making sure the point of your pin is going through each layer at exactly the same place.
Do this pinning process every 3 inches all the way across the 8 layers of fabric, the same way you did the first. Sometimes you have to re-pin that first one, after you have put in about 3 pins. Then go down, 3 inches and pin across another row of pins, to the bottom of your stack. Then with a sharp new blade in your rotary cutter you take a ruler, and cut into strips the width you would need to get the size block you need. For this pattern you would cut into squares, and then cut diagonally to get triangles. Cut where you miss the pins, sometimes you will need to move the pins a bit. And when they are cut, leave a pin in each stack so they stay together. But for each cut, because they are stacked exactly on top of each other and pinned in place each piece is exactly the same.
Before I started cutting anything, I split my fabric in half, straight of grain and saved the other half for the sashings and border. Also this is one time when you cannot press starch, or prewash fabric because it will distort your fabric so the print will not be in the same place. Exactness is very important for this to work. Sorry I didn't use a pattern, so I cannot tell you the sizes, but it was pretty easy to figure it out with a piece of card stock 12X12, in scrap booking supplies. I hope this makes sense.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Love the brights!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

Looks fantastic! Nice job!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 PM

that is really pretty. im hand sewing one i got from a board member. im going to do something simular to this one i love the effect this gives. really well done. and the quilting is pretty also
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Beautiful!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 AM

Aren't Stack 'n Whacks fun! This is very pretty. Love your fabric choice.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 AM

Dear par4theday,
Thank you so much. That does help and with the close up picture I can see well enough what you did with those wonderful instructions. I'm glad you said not to prewash! I usually prewash everything and the material I have that I was planning on using has been prewashed. So I guess it will be back to the store when I begin this.
Thanks again. Your quilt is soooooooooooo pretty!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sunnye
Dear par4theday,
Thank you so much. That does help and with the close up picture I can see well enough what you did with those wonderful instructions. I'm glad you said not to prewash! I usually prewash everything and the material I have that I was planning on using has been prewashed. So I guess it will be back to the store when I begin this.
Thanks again. Your quilt is soooooooooooo pretty!
You can still do it with prewashed ... so there's no need to find new fabric.

I had prewashed mine. I was doing it in a courseand when they told me don't wash, I said, oh, I already did. The teacher wasn't the least concerned and simply said to press it well, and starch it up. That way the layers slide nicely as you're stacking them up for precision matching of the layers.

Here's mine if you want to take a look ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141548-1.htm

I also have a 4PP in the works ........
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114907-1.htm
Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM

WILD and BEAUTIFUL!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM

What a fun quilt! You've really got the SNWhack down!