Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Snow Day Quilt

Blog Entries

My Snow Day Quilt

I put that day to use and finished all the blocks I need for a new quilt. This one, pinned to my wall, is going to Switzerland this summer to my Stepson and his current, (she requested purple). They are modern and much more "hip" than I. I collected these wonderful batiks over the last few months by haunting the online sales. I attempted to make them even more beautiful and modern. I think I did.
    But I haven't a clue as yet how I'm going to quilt this baby. Sorry I couldn't get a less obstructed view, and there is actually one more row of 12" blocks to go.
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by MaryKatherine; 02-10-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Beautiful, I know they will be happy with it.

I *love* it

Fantastic!
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Power Poster
    It looks wonderful! I love the little straws of colour you added!

Very prettty!

Blog Entries
    wow, a really great quilt!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

This is very modern, they will love it. So, is each block 6" finished. Love all the purples in this!!

Very nice! Please post when quilted I would love to see what you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyful1 View Post
    This is very modern, they will love it. So, is each block 6" finished. Love all the purples in this!!
    No each block is 11.5 finished.
    MK

Wonderfully modern and the color and balance is perfect! Not my cup of tea, either, but I bet they absolutely love it! I'd just do a larger all-over meander and call it good. The quilt speaks for itself already.....beautiful job!

I absolutely love this quilt, and I have quite a stash of batiks. Might have to bookmark this one

i love the color purple! you're right, its much more moden and hip than i as well, but it sure is pretty to look at! they will love it!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Awesome!!!!!!

Wow I love this quilt! Did you cut and sew in those color straws or applique them on top of the blocks?

Beautiful! It is very modern and I'm sure they'll love it!

Very cool! I love it!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloonatic View Post
    Wow I love this quilt! Did you cut and sew in those color straws or applique them on top of the blocks?
    I was wondering about this also. Really kool quilt. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Love it ... love it ... love it!!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Power Poster
    very nice!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

gorgeous quilt. Regarding the quilting - if they like modern - just do straight line quilting but in a non-parallel fashion. since the small inset strips are at all angles, your odd-angle quilting lines will complement them. I've done this by making a straight line across a quilt at an odd angle (you could use one of your angled lines in a block to start this if you want). when I get to the edge at the end - I make a 90degree turn and stitch to the next edge I come to...turn 90 degrees and stitch to the next edge, etc. YOu can mark this if you want since your quilt is larger, but on smaller quilts I just free style the straight lines. because you start at an odd angle, all of your 90 degree turns will give you odd, non-parallel stitch lines. Try it out on a piece of paper if you want to see how it works....I did check about half way thru my quilting to make sure that the stitch lines were covering fairly evenly....if they look too bunched up, then start a new stitch line that takes you thru the least quilted area and continue with the 90 degree turns. Here's a link to a small wall quilt I did that uses this technique: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...se-t90458.html
    Kate

Great quilt. I like ktbb's idea for quilting. An alternate might be large circular spirals with smaller ones filling in the blank spaces where the circles don't touch.

Blog Entries
    They will love that!! I even love it and i'm not that modern. lovely quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloonatic View Post
    I cut and sewed, a few were just tucks and inserts but all the places where they cross were cut.
    Mk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
    gorgeous quilt. Regarding the quilting - if they like modern - just do straight line quilting but in a non-parallel fashion. since the small inset strips are at all angles, your odd-angle quilting lines will complement them. I've done this by making a straight line across a quilt at an odd angle (you could use one of your angled lines in a block to start this if you want). when I get to the edge at the end - I make a 90degree turn and stitch to the next edge I come to...turn 90 degrees and stitch to the next edge, etc. YOu can mark this if you want since your quilt is larger, but on smaller quilts I just free style the straight lines. because you start at an odd angle, all of your 90 degree turns will give you odd, non-parallel stitch lines. Try it out on a piece of paper if you want to see how it works....I did check about half way thru my quilting to make sure that the stitch lines were covering fairly evenly....if they look too bunched up, then start a new stitch line that takes you thru the least quilted area and continue with the 90 degree turns. Here's a link to a small wall quilt I did that uses this technique: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...se-t90458.html
    I do like that however I'm not too sure about doing that on my long arm. It would necessitate irregular lengths, but that's not so bad either. But thanks for the brain food. Love your cottage!!
    I only have 18" on my longarm.
    MK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast