Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Underground Railroad

I just finished my first block for my URR. This block is called. Chained Star and it's a 15 inch block. I love these big blocks. They really show off the block. This block was a bit of doing, it says the level of difficulty is skilled lol.

I used my Pat Sloan fabric on it and just the red star was pulled from stash.

I made a real long post earlier for this quilt where I showed all the fabrics I pulled, the Pat Sloan line etc. I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it's because I named over 25 blocks that will go into this quilt. Maybe I wasn't supposed to do that, oh well, it's ok, no biggy. Anyway, I am working out of the Barbara Brackman book and I am including some blocks that I researched and found that usually go into a URR quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Looks great to me :thumbup:

I found your other post with all the blocks and fabric! It is here. :)

I like your block!

Is this your previous post?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58291-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Is this the post you were looking for

To find posts you have made go to your profile and it will show topics created and messages posted . Click on the topics and scroll until you find the one you are looking for :lol:

I love the block & the fabrics! Very nice!

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your block is lovely! The idea of doing an URR quilt is quite intriguing to me. I loved the fabs you have chosen. What got you interested in doing the URR? Are all the blocks 15"? I think I might like to try it with 12" blocks. You're an inspiration!

beautiful block. I've always wanted to do a URR as Harriett Tubman is one of my all time heroes and idols. She rocks and the whole URR story just touches my heart.

oh goodness I couldn't find it page after page lol...thank you ladies....

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Is this the post you were looking for

To find posts you have made go to your profile and it will show topics created and messages posted . Click on the topics and scroll until you find the one you are looking for :lol:
    Oh thank you Sharon, that is good to know....

Quote Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter
    Your block is lovely! The idea of doing an URR quilt is quite intriguing to me. I loved the fabs you have chosen. What got you interested in doing the URR? Are all the blocks 15"? I think I might like to try it with 12" blocks. You're an inspiration!

I have always wanted to do it because I love History and I get inspired from others who have done one or are doing one. In this case it was Milholmes who inspired me and reminded me lol..

In the Barbara Brackman book the blocks are all 15 inches and if you have BB you can make then anysize. I do love these big blocks tho...they really show off their stuff and fabric.

Why don't some of you guy join in and do one. We can just show each other the blocks and maybe keep some of us going to finish one of these wonderful quilts. I am still keeping up with the FW too. I just post my blocks for next week lol.....I love to sew, quilt....

Your piecing is excellent.

I love that block! And the fabrics you are going to use in your quilt are beautiful - look forward to more....

Blog Entries
    Lovely!

Your block is beautiful! Let's hope the nay-sayers and self appointed historians don't get ahold of this thread too. There's been some really heated debates on this subject. Personally I believe it might have happened sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Your block is beautiful! Let's hope the nay-sayers and self appointed historians don't get ahold of this thread too. There's been some really heated debates on this subject. Personally I believe it might have happened sometimes.
    I'm no historian, but from everything I've studied over the last 30 years I truely believe it is 100% TRUE. And besides, it makes total sense that they would do it on the downlow so as not to get busted. Scowls to those that don't believe it happened. That's like saying Hitler didn't slaughter all the Jews and we know that happened. Just my opinion. Hope I didn't offend.
    Doug

That is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I don't care and I said so in my other thread where I showed the fabric. I will just ask those who are enjoying this with me, not to comment on the negatives at all.

I say it exist for those who believe and if it is a myth like dragons, giants and unicorns etc then I love all of it and nothing will deter me from having a good time doing this URR....

The sky has opened here in Longwood Florida early this morning and it has poured blessed rain for hours and it's so nice and cooled down now.

I stayed in bed listening to the rain and thinking about my new quilts that I'm working on. Life is good. I finished reading one of my favorites (Catherine Cookson) and now I'm in the studio and will make another huge block that I will post later.

Great work!

Love the block.

I finished a second block last night, " Lost Ship or Ships? I am working out of the BB book and that block only had two ships and they didn't really give me the look I wanted. I searched Block Base and found a block with four ships and it is the look I wanted.

I printed it out on 11x17 paper and pp piece it an it is perfect. I didn't feel like cutting and piecing all those half sq tris.

The brown ships are with the Timpleberries fabric, that was just part of my stash.

As in some cases, you have to be careful of the squaring of the blocks, as where the tri's meet, you have that 1/4 seam that you don't want to loose.

I know the block, no matter how careful you sew, it will not be perfect. So my solution is to block it into shape and keep it the size it needs to be. I have included the blocked one. As you can see, I have it on a pressing mat and pinned it in place. I then starch it and press it into the shape and it stays that way.

Block all blocked
    Name:  Attachment-94569.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  62.1 KB

together with the Chained Star
    Name:  Attachment-94570.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  33.7 KB

Have you ever used Thangles for your HST's? They're pretty wonderful.

Have you ever used Thangles for your HST's? They're pretty wonderful.

No, I have never used them but I kinda shy away from buying extra stuff. I can do the half and quarter sqs but sometimes I just don't want to fiddle with it. It costs me nothing to do a pp on my pc. and I like that lol..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast