Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Name of this block

  1. #1
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm trying to find simpler blocks for a long distance friend to make (this'll be her 2nd quilt).
    I have lots of quilt photos I've taken over the years but they don't have names.
    Does anyone know the name of this block, so I can find the directions for her?
    I realize it's just 9 patchs, center square, and rail fences put together, but she'll need actual step by step.
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Cut your center block 4 1/2" and use 2" strips. That should come out to a 12 1/2" block.

    After sewing your strips d,l,d and l,d,l cut them in 2" strips and sew them back together to make the 9 patches

    Sew l, d, l strips and cut at 4 1/2" to make the rails.

    Your sashing can be any size you want although it appears to be 4 1/2" in the picture.

    This might be a version of Cornerstones and Rails block.

  3. #3
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks--
    I appreciate you taking the time to write out the steps. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I was going to do that but I was hoping to find a tute online that also had step by step photos since she's 150 miles away from me.
    But I don't know the name to type into google search.
    You don't happen to know if this block actually has a name, do you?
    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Member woodland creature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northeastern New York
    Posts
    35
    I can't find my books - packed up getting ready to move. But it is in the book 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks. I believe the author calls it Building Blocks - or maybe Building Blocks II. I happen to remember that one because I am alternating that and an Ohio Star for a quilt for my son (which hopefully I'll get back to once we've moved).

  5. #5
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,558
    Blog Entries
    6
    It almost looks similar to the Queens Crown that is on

    http://www.quilterscache.com/Q/QueensCrownBlock.html.

    Check out all the quilts on www.quilterscache.com you may find it there. :)

  6. #6
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    It almost looks similar to the Queens Crown that is on

    http://www.quilterscache.com/Q/QueensCrownBlock.html.

    Check out all the quilts on www.quilterscache.com you may find it there. :)
    I couldn't get the link to open.
    I go to quilterscache often but there's so many blocks there that I get sidetracked and I'm there forever. lol.
    But I'll go look now.
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland creature
    I can't find my books - packed up getting ready to move. But it is in the book 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks. I believe the author calls it Building Blocks - or maybe Building Blocks II. I happen to remember that one because I am alternating that and an Ohio Star for a quilt for my son (which hopefully I'll get back to once we've moved).
    Darn I don't have those books.
    But you've given me a name to try searching with.
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,677
    Blog Entries
    2
    the link will open if you delete the .period at the end. it shouldn't be there.

  9. #9
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,078

  10. #10
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    got it.
    thanks all.

  11. #11
    Senior Member marciacp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Crowley, TX
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I'm trying to find simpler blocks for a long distance friend to make (this'll be her 2nd quilt).
    I have lots of quilt photos I've taken over the years but they don't have names.
    Does anyone know the name of this block, so I can find the directions for her?
    I realize it's just 9 patchs, center square, and rail fences put together, but she'll need actual step by step.
    thanks
    Hi Nadine,
    According to 'Block Base' for EQ, it is called 'Building Blocks'.
    The one on Quilter's Cache is a little different, because in
    the middle, instead of a square, she put a rectangle. It is
    a traditional block that has been around for a very long time. If you will PM me, I can send you the block, also
    put into a quilt, with yardage amounts, and cutting
    instructions, as well as assembly.
    Have a Great Day!
    Marcia

  12. #12
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Marcia--
    Thanks.
    I've pm'd you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.