Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Name this quilt AND need tips for quilting as this will be made without batting

Could you maybe just fill with a piece of thin white flannel using it as you would batting?
    Do you think doing that would make it too warm to use?
    If you could do that, it might make your quilting stand out better too.

Sorry about my reply above! I should have read all of the posts before opening my big mouth! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    beautiful

Your quilt is beautiful and love the quilting idea MTS gave you.

Oh it is pretty. They are called summer quilts without the batting at least in some areas.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    love your quilt. as for a name have you thought of "A Quilted Hug" then write a short "ditty" about when in need of a hug just wrap snuggly around shoulders, close eyes and smile. or do a material content label...where content is listed say much love and hugs, origin could be from a land far away or maybe "heart of a good friend" let your imagination go. I am sure all of us can come up with good ideas to say. Good Luck
    carol

I hear theremore batting is really best for lightweight quilt, it is the thinest batting out there

Quote Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier
    love your quilt. as for a name have you thought of "A Quilted Hug" then write a short "ditty" about when in need of a hug just wrap snuggly around shoulders, close eyes and smile. or do a material content label...where content is listed say much love and hugs, origin could be from a land far away or maybe "heart of a good friend" let your imagination go. I am sure all of us can come up with good ideas to say. Good Luck
    carol
    Good ideas!

I've often included on the labels ... Every stitch made with my love for you! (or similar)

I think if this were my quilt, I would back the basket square with something just to keep it on a par with the flannel. Perhaps a piece of muslin or the stabilizer you mentioned.
    For quilting, since you wanted to think flower, I would go corner to corner from the center out, skipping the center yellow square. Since there is no batting, you don't have to worry about spacing. So starting at the corner of the center pink square, sew to the middle of the pink square, turn and sew to the center of the next pink square, turn and sew, until you return to the starting point. Then you can backstitch and cut or you can SITD to the corner of the next row, the green, and repeat with each row of the larger squares.
    Then for the smaller yellow and white squares in the corners, I would do a fan stitch from the outside corners to the points and corners of the large blocks finishing with SITD or outline stitch around the entire fan.
    LOL is that clear as mud? I just could see it in my mind very clearly.

Oh no, we don't want mud on that quilt!
    Though some rain will help keep the flowers from wilting!!!! :)

Hi Karen,

What a lovely quilt. What a great reward for Mary's work with her studies. I would think about using cotton or even bamboo batting instead of flannel. Flannel will be much hotter than the cotton or bamboo. I've been reading that the new bamboo batting gives a very soft finish to the quilts it was used in.

I agree with others and their comments about backing the white sections, etc.

I would also hide her name and info and your name and contact information somewhere inside near the binding. This way if it were to be stolen and the outside labels removed, it can always be identified with the hidden information that only you and Mary would have knowledge about.

Good luck with finishing this beautiful quilt for Mary. Please post pictures when it's completed.

Pam M

What a beautiful Quilt for this young lady. She will not know how to deal with some of the modern things she will soon see away from her village. She will love her quilt, I am sure.

The name is perfect and the quilt is beautiful! You are a very sweet lady :-D

It is a beautiful quilt. The name is perfect. Mary will cherish her quilt. You have done a wonderful thing.

very pretty & I love your story

I know tieing is a thing of the past for most, but what about tieing the squares with the yellow of the center? For a label. a small flower basket would look nice I think.

Blog Entries
    You are an angel on earth. That is such a sweet and thoughtful thing for you to do. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful

Sheis a lucky young woman. I think "Mary's World" wmight say it all in just 2 words. What do you think?
    Julie

Banned
    what a wonderful thing you do, Bless you.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty quilt for a very special girl. Sent you a PM with some info that might be helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2