Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Navy Quilt for my Son

Navy Quilt for my Son

I would like to make a navy quilt for my son. I know I will not have it finished by the time I leave to go see him on the 25th of July, I am still working on my granddaughters umbrella quilt. (The last row is not sewn to the others yet.) The USS Ronald Reagen CVN 76 (right side), USS Cleveland LPD 7 (bottom) and the USS John Paul Jones DDG 53 (left). Above the God Bless America panel, I would like to put a picture of US Naval Station Great Lakes training building where he did his boot camp and now an instructor there. The red, white and blue navy fabric will be the backing. Would like your opinions please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that will be a wonderful quilt. He'll love it. Hope you will show us a picture when your finished.

Seriously! You've got some awesome projects going on! Both are so personalized and will be like a kiss on the cheek! Congratulations for demonstrating some love in action!
    Carol's Quilt Farm
    Beautiful quilting for your beautiful quilts!

Beautiful quilts! I'm partial to the Navy one as I am the widow of a Navy Chief (who also did his boot camp at Great Lakes). Tell your son thank you for his service to our country!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

First off that is the most wonderful Navy quilt I have ever seen. The pictures are great and your fabric is perfect. Your son will be very touched that you did this for him and he will proudly show every one he knows thsi wonderful tribute to his career. I too would ask you to thank your son for my family as well.

Power Poster
    Great quilts for your son and granddaughter.

PS the Umbrella Girls are stunning.

Please add my thanks to your son. I am so grateful to our troops who sacrifice so much for our freedom!
    Ruth

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Both are fabulous. Thanks for sharing. Peggy
    Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Your son will be so very touched by that thoughtful tribute to his service. The other instructors will be green with envy.

Beautiful. Please, thank your son.

I love the layout of the fabric, I would say drop the side pics of the ships just a hair. they look like they are riding a little high. if you have another pic of a navel base that would be a great thing to put above the god bless America block. Maybe a pic of the entry of the base that he is at? that would be perfect for putting over the panel. Take that when you go and visit him then after you get home, sew like a mad women and then send him a very special care package with the quilt and somethings that he is missing from home. Do you know what you will bind with? maybe a red and white stripe fabric that you can make look like roping around the quilt? just my two cents. no matter what you do it will be fab. you have great taste and I know that your son will cherish it. and i agree with dunster, everyone on the base will be green with envy.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Both are super. Please add my family's thanks to the list. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

They'll both be perfect!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
    I think that will be a wonderful quilt. He'll love it. Hope you will show us a picture when your finished.
    I agree completely! This is going to be one fabulous quilt (just like the Umbrella Girl)! Please post again when it's done, OK?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Your quilt is going to be great. Love the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    I love the layout of the fabric, I would say drop the side pics of the ships just a hair. they look like they are riding a little high. if you have another pic of a navel base that would be a great thing to put above the god bless America block. Maybe a pic of the entry of the base that he is at? that would be perfect for putting over the panel. Take that when you go and visit him then after you get home, sew like a mad women and then send him a very special care package with the quilt and somethings that he is missing from home. Do you know what you will bind with? maybe a red and white stripe fabric that you can make look like roping around the quilt? just my two cents. no matter what you do it will be fab. you have great taste and I know that your son will cherish it. and i agree with dunster, everyone on the base will be green with envy.
    I thought about the entrance to the base also. Yes, I do have some red and white stripe fabric to use for binding. How wide should I cut the binding?

Your quilts will be gorgeous and loved very much. You are doing a wonderful job on them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    Are you saying to put the pictures on the right and left half way between the panel and the other ship at the bottom?

wonderful quilt....you are the "Mom"
    Penny aka PLS 1946

I too am partial to the Navy quilt. My Dad was career Navy--submarines--and my husband was a career line officer. I know what it means to familys who have spouses fighting for our freedom. Hats off to the men who serve and the families who support them on the home front.

Smile Navy Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Sewfine View Post
    I would like to make a navy quilt for my son. I know I will not have it finished by the time I leave to go see him on the 25th of July, I am still working on my granddaughters umbrella quilt. (The last row is not sewn to the others yet.) The USS Ronald Reagen CVN 76 (right side), USS Cleveland LPD 7 (bottom) and the USS John Paul Jones DDG 53 (left). Above the God Bless America panel, I would like to put a picture of US Naval Station Great Lakes training building where he did his boot camp and now an instructor there. The red, white and blue navy fabric will be the backing. Would like your opinions please.
    This is one remarkable quilt, you've put a lot of thought behind it, even my military hubby is impressed with it. Your son will be most proud not only of his quilt but the woman behind it. Great work!

BTW....your gd's quilt is wonderful, know she's going to love and cherish it.

Are there any members in the Norfolk Virginia area near the Naval Station that could possible take a picture for me of the Welcome or entrance sign? I lost all my pictures in Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. Would like to include the picture in my sons' quilt. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Update of Nay Quilt

Here is an update on how far I have gotten on the Navy quilt for my son. Opinions welcome. I am going to trim them in blue just as the Norfolk VA sign and then sash with the Navy backgroun fabric. Please be truthful, I want this to me a momenta of how he is appreciate for his service to our country. Everything is just pinned, for easy rearranging. There are a lot of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The labels I am going to enlarge them to match the width of the picture they represent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast