Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need Help With Background Color for my Kaleidescope >

Need Help With Background Color for my Kaleidescope

Need Help With Background Color for my Kaleidescope

Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 PM

I love the Sage green the very best! Love your kalidascopes [sp].
Old 10-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
I don't know. I still like the light green. The burgundy definitely makes all the burgundy jump out of the fabric, but, I agree, that burgundy is dull. The gold, you lose some of the blocks in there. Too close to the same color. You didn't put dark green back up there so can't comment on that.

I still like the light green. But, this is YOUR quilt, and you need to pick what best suits you. What color do you like?
Joey, Janstar, Omak, MadQuilter,Cindy, Mum,Ybridge,CNolan and Everyone: Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

I didn't have the right shade of dark green...the two greens I used in the first pictures weren't right. One had a blue hue and the other was too bright. I plan to hit Joann's this morning to see what they have in dark green and in a burgundy with a bit brighter look. My dull burgundy isn't quite getting it for me but I think in my heart of hearts the burgundy color is what I want and need in this quilt.

If I was making this quilt for my DS the sage green would be the color. That's what she has in her bedroom with yellows and it's so pretty. This would go great in her room but I think I want to keep this one for myself! :evil: I sort of feel selfish but maybe I can find some other nice fabric and make another one for DS.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 AM

Using a solid fabric will look flat. You might consider using a fabric with a small print in a lighter value of the color. Example: a sage green print on a forest green or a pink print on a burgandy fabric. Up close it might look odd, but from far away the print blends in and gives some variation and depth to your background fabric.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:44 AM

What about alternating the two greens? Just a thought. :-)
Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by mumtoliam
Now that I can see some more - I like the burgundy and the yellow... are you thinking of adding a border, If so, what are you considering? If you use the yellow as background the burgundy would make a nice narrow border to frame them with a wider yellow border or the original fabric.
This is a great idea.

I think the background color you select will depend on the look you are going for. If you want a "light and airy" look, then go for the yellow. If you want a great contrast to make your kaleidoscope blocks stand out then go for the burgundy. The green does not make the quilt light and airy nor does it give enough contrast to make the blocks stand out.

Be sure to take your blocks with you when you go to the store, and don't hesitate to open up fabric you are considering and lay out your blocks on it and step back and take a look. Plus, you will get an opinion from every passer-by who will just love what you are doing!!!

I still think your blocks are gorgeous and this is going to be a great quilt!!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

out of these, I'd go with the gold. Hope to see it, when you get done :D
It's gonna be purty.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 AM

I agree with the darker colors as it helps the pieces stand out more but I do like the gold. Would depend on my mood when putting the pieces together.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM

The problem with the burgundy (which is a color I love) is that wherever burgundy is near the edge, it will blend into the background losing the shape of the kaleidescope. There's not enough contrast with the light green. I love the blended gold but wish it was a tad darker. The dark green is pretty good but would lay the assortment of pieces on it (& the gold) to see if it needs to be a little darker so the greens won't blend into the background. Sometimes it helps to look through a piece of red cellophane or plastic to judge the contrast. Love the floral fabric.
Betty
Old 10-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Your blocks are gorgeous! I really like the gold/tan background, I think the block just 'floats" on it and stands out really nice.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

I would use a color not in the blocks, a very light ivory or barely there pink for example. The ivory would let the blocks seem to float on the background.