Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with the border on this quilt

Hello I have posted this before but I for the life of me cannot figure out how to do the border. I tried to do piano key style didn't look good. I just cannot figure out what it needs. the blue is like a sky blue almost looks like clouds in the pattern.

What it looks like
    Name:  Attachment-164819.jpe
Views: 52
Size:  68.1 KB

pics of colors in the quilt
    Name:  Attachment-164820.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  66.0 KB

more colors
    Name:  Attachment-164821.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  70.6 KB

These seem to be the best actual colors.
    Name:  Attachment-164822.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  73.8 KB

I bought this on ebay Do you think this would work?
    Name:  Attachment-164823.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  41.9 KB

Blog Entries
    I personally think anything but a plain border will detract from the intricacy of your design. I think it is beautiful. With a plain border, you can do some decorative quilting too!

What color would you use? I thought maybe the light blue but my daughter says it is too plain.

I agree, plain is the way to go. Something that looks like a picture frame. Big and beefy. Love the design!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would use one of the medium brown prints that has the pink accents. The quilt looka great!

do you need a border---may be a narrow brown+same binding---love the quilt

Beautiful top. No help with the border.

Blog Entries
    That's so pretty! I'd use a brown tonal for the border. Something with texture like Kaufman Fusions, Wilmington Essentials, or a marble. It's plain enough not to take away from the center, but not too plain. I think it would blend nicely.

Let us know what you select!

I would probably go with your light color in the quilt for a small border and then finish with a wider border of a dark. Good luck. Beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    This also would be my suggestion ( what jemma said). Awesome quilt!

Power Poster
    Plain border!

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Disclaimer: I like bright colours.

I often use the "squint" test. Stand back from the quilt a bit and squint at it. One of the colours or tones will sort of jump out at you more than the others. I see the orange tones when I squint at the picture of your quilt.

In the third picture, in the bottom left log cabin, there is a lovely orange and yellow batik. I'd make a narrow border of that and then a wider border of the brown with the orange and purple polka dots. Then a plain dark brown binding.

JMHO!

BTW, the squint test works really well when arranging lights on a Christmas tree - just squint at it and the holes where you need more lights can be easily seen.

In my opinion... No border; just bind it.

In my opinion... No border; just bind it. (Not sure how I posted the same message twice!?! Looks like the coffee has kicked in.)

I love the colors in your quilt! The different browns are so beautiful. I love working with all the browns and pinks that are available. I am not very good with border choices, but usually what I do is put it on the floor and lay different fabrics along each side. No matter what the choice is for the border I like a small dark border first to frame the quilt and then decide on the border.

Good Luck...this is a beautiful quilt!

Something plain and dark would be perfect. It could have a mottled texture to it.
    Anything pieced would detract from the middle.

I agree with everyone here. A Plain border would be the way to go. One of the browns medium most likely. The quilt is too beautiful to have the border take away from it.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any more of the light? I'd just put a 2" or so light border (let the light areas of the quilt just sort of melt into it) then do a scrappy binding with the browns.

Blog Entries
    Bernatex makes a fabric they call 'Atmosphere.' It comes in a brown that would be very pretty as a border for this. It's got swirls of different browns in it.
    http://www.benartex.com/?page=galler...g_c=1&idp=7473

I used it for the border of the Jesus quilt posted on this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-75293-1.htm

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what about WHITE? my 2nd choice would be one of the pinks or peaches--looks like you have enough brown! it's beautiful!

Blog Entries
    I'd use a dark brown 1" wide frame to contain all that lovely color, then a 4.5 inch border of your favorite brown from the quilt. Trying to border it in the light blue would wash it out, IMO.

I was going say to say a quiet print for the wide one, but I used a huge print and a coral binding for my busy Fandango quilt and it was wonderful. Yes, I did use a brown first sashing to contain the colors. I hate to post a picture - it looks pink when it is coral. I didn't get a finished picture. I'll have to have my daughter take one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That's what I do, just "audition" the different colors on the side until you find what you like. I'm thinking it doesn't need one, I think it is pretty the way it is. Just bind in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    I love the colors in your quilt! The different browns are so beautiful. I love working with all the browns and pinks that are available. I am not very good with border choices, but usually what I do is put it on the floor and lay different fabrics along each side. No matter what the choice is for the border I like a small dark border first to frame the quilt and then decide on the border.

Good Luck...this is a beautiful quilt!

Blog Entries
    So Pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I'd use a dark brown 1" wide frame to contain all that lovely color, then a 4.5 inch border of your favorite brown from the quilt. Trying to border it in the light blue would wash it out, IMO.

I was going say to say a quiet print for the wide one, but I used a huge print and a coral binding for my busy Fandango quilt and it was wonderful. Yes, I did use a brown first sashing to contain the colors. I hate to post a picture - it looks pink when it is coral. I didn't get a finished picture. I'll have to have my daughter take one.

what a beautiful quilt

I have used (with similar colors) a chocolate brown by Benartex designed by susan winget(from the selvedge) When I went to get more of it we could not find it, the shop owner finally found it with her Christmas fabrics --it looks like frost on the window. I had various greens, reds and beige plus browns and it worked well. It was chosen by someone else for a gift quilt -- I never would have thought of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast