Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes! >

Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes!

Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

First of all your first quilt came out great! My thought is, if you do pin the quilt on the floor use some cardboard as big as you can find and put that under the quilt so you don't pin it to the carpeting.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

i think the quilt looks just great.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 AM

When I'm at mom's I have to use her carpeted floor so I put my cutting mat under the quilt. I have also used basting spray for smaller quilts. For larger quilts I spray baste and then pinned in a few places to make sure it stays together while sewing for the larger quilts. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 AM

If you have a large enough wall, It is easier than getting on the floor. Pin your backing to the wall, spray with basting spray, next, add your layer of batting and smooth, spray baste, then add your top and smooth. Works well for me.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 AM

Your quilt is cute as can be. I think you done a great job on the quilt for the first time. I like to use QAUG method on small quilts that I am not going to put on the frame. That might be an option for you. Your grandson will love it and watching him with it will make you forget about all your worries. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 AM

You might want to try warm and white or warm and natural batting and use the basting spray before quilting. You will have to bind when you are done but you will probably find that it will help with the little puckers. It looks great though. The suggested taping to the floor is good too.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM

I love your Winne the Pooh quilt. It's so precious.

I just finished quilting a 40" x 70" lap quilt and I ending up basting with pins. I have a banquet table that I laid the quilt across and just basted in sections smoothing and pinning each section. I really took my time with the basting. I stitched in the ditch and started in the center of the quilt and worked my way out. Everytime I finished a line of stitching I took the quilt over to the table and examined the back for puckers. It worked great.

Have fun making your next quilt. It will get easier and more fun.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I think it's very cute! As others have said a batt with more cotton content will make it easier to keep the layers together. I love Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt but it gives a flatter look than polyester. I lot of people love the spray basting too. I find the quilt sandwich is much more stable if you use a fusible. You should be proud of your first effort, you did good!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 AM

I baste with thread and needle. Start in the middle, go to the ends and sides and then to the corners. Start each thread in the middle. It helps, but I still get some puckers.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Your quilt looks really great.This is your first quilt, be kind to your self,and be proud of the beautiful quilt you made with love for your grandchild. Sandy