Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help identifying this frame >

Need help identifying this frame

Need help identifying this frame

Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM

Hi guys,

I've had this quilting frame for a couple of years and am now in a pickle. I need to get some replacement parts for it soon (bolts etc) and am havnig trouble identifying this frame. I have googled it, and asked around but no one seems to know what kind/style frame this is. I really want to get a new one but it's not in the cards, so I just need to figure out what to call what I already have so I can research it a little.

Thanks in advance guys

This is the view where the boards sit down into it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188224[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188218.jpe   attachment-188219.jpe  
Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Never seen one like this. If it is just the screws and other metal parts you need replaced I would just take them to the local hardware store and match them up. You probably will have better luck with an Ace or old fashion hardware store instead of Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:26 PM

Yeah I think I will. Curiosity still impells me to find out what kind of frame this is...because it sucks and I want to be able to avoid it in the future lol!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I borrowed a frame like this a couple of years ago. It was one from Sears, but no longer made as far as I could tell.

Then I bought a very similar one from Craigslist a couple years ago. I can no longer find the paper with the instructions and the manufacturer's name. I find it easy to use, easy to set up for the demos I take it to. It's been used at a festival of historic arts at an old mill's restoration benefit, in a fifth grade classroom to teach quilting for a day during History Week, and at another art-in-the-park festival, at all of which the public practice quilting on it.

It isn't one I leave up all the time due to space constraints; I use a handheld lap hoop to handquilt.

Jan in VA
Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM

I borrowed a frame like this a couple of years ago. It was one from Sears, but no longer made as far as I could tell.

Then I bought a very similar one from Craigslist a couple years ago. I can no longer find the paper with the instructions and the manufacturer's name. I find it easy to use, easy to set up for the demos I take it to. It's been used at a festival of historic arts at an old mill's restoration benefit, in a fifth grade classroom to teach quilting for a day during History Week, and at another art-in-the-park festival, at all of which the public practice quilting on it.

It isn't one I leave up all the time due to space constraints; I use a handheld lap hoop to handquilt.

If you'll google "wood quilting frames" and go into the 5th, 6th and more pages, you might find one similar to yours.

Jan in VA
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 PM

I have one like yours that I purchased from Sears in the mid to late 70's. I'll get the information off the box tomorrow and post it for you.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by KarenK
I have one like yours that I purchased from Sears in the mid to late 70's. I'll get the information off the box tomorrow and post it for you.
That would be SO AWESOME! I got this one off Craigslist several years back and I find it a pain the padded arse to set up and get my quilts to stay on straight and not lump around...and it's not too sturdy (hence the needing some parts)

All this information is very appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrsj82
Originally Posted by KarenK
That would be SO AWESOME! I got this one off Craigslist several years back and I find it a pain the padded arse to set up and get my quilts to stay on straight and not lump around...and it's not too sturdy (hence the needing some parts)

All this information is very appreciated. Thanks!
Have you stapled 'leaders' to both rails before applying the quilt? I used some heavier weight home dec fabric (could use light weight canvas/denim) to add a 6" wide strip to each rail, where about 4.5"-5" hangs off loose.

Then pin or baste the edge of the quilt to that befoere rolling it on the rails.

You can mark the center of the quilt and the center of the strip and match those points to each other as you begin to pin, working out toward the ends. This helps keep the quilt staright and free from bunching.

Run your hands down the length of fabric on the rails, too, as you roll a turn or two to help smooth it all.

Jan in VA
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
som

i have the same frame it was my mothers ,but i dont know whats called ,but it works wonderful,
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

My great aunt gave me a frame that looks a lot like this. The box says "Edmunds" on it and she bought it from Herrshners years and years ago.