Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: need help with quilt top

  1. #1
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650

    need help with quilt top

    I made this bear paw top about 7 years ago and I don't have any more of the fabrics that I used . I don't know what to do with this to make it a King size without just adding plain borders. The background in the pine cone fabric is navy blue. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Last edited by javin22; 07-30-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: no pics

  2. #2
    Super Member Kitsapquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard WA
    Posts
    2,291
    What a beautiful quilt. Love the pinecone fabric. I would look for fabrics with the colors that are in the pinecone fabric. Tone on tones or even a nice print...leaves maybe. I don't think it matters that all the fabrics are not the same. Just in the same theme perhaps. Do a narrow plain border then an outer border in another print. Would love to see this quilt again when you have added borders and binding.
    Friendship is a knot
    tied by Angels hands.

    Linda

  3. #3
    Senior Member quilter1943's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Edgewater, FL
    Posts
    925
    This is the perfect time to look for a fabric that would blend with your pine tree fabrics since the new Christmas fabrics are in the shops now. It's beautiful and I'm sure you'll be able to find something to work with your other fabric. Maybe even a solid and put a bear paw in each corner? Let us see it when it's finished.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

  4. #4
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    Do you remember who the manufacturer was, and the fabric line? If you can't find this fabric, perhaps you can find something else in the line as it will have the same colors.

    If not, then a solid or tonal in one of the blues or greens in the print - a small border to frame it, then a larger border in the white, then bind with the fabric from the small border.

    Very pretty!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  5. #5
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650
    I don't know who the manufacture was, I used scraps. I think it came from Wal-mart. It might be VIP. Thanks for the suggestions. This is really stumping me. I don't want to take away from the pinecone fabric with the fabrics I may choose for the borders, and I can't seem to figure out what would look good with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Do you remember who the manufacturer was, and the fabric line? If you can't find this fabric, perhaps you can find something else in the line as it will have the same colors.

    If not, then a solid or tonal in one of the blues or greens in the print - a small border to frame it, then a larger border in the white, then bind with the fabric from the small border.

    Very pretty!

  6. #6
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    It's beautiful! You should be able to find something that will blend well with it. I'd check out some of the blenders like Kaufman Fusions, Wilmington Essentials, Kona Bay. They have some dimension to the prints that would look very nice with your fabric. You could also go with a marble. Please post when you are done...it's very nice!

  7. #7
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650
    Woo hoo! I just found 1 2/3 yards of this fabric on ebay. I just bought it. So now do you think I should put a narrow border of this pine cone fabric and then white and then a navy blue binding?

  8. #8
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,058
    Blog Entries
    1
    Add a couple of borders in fabric that matches the blocks. I'd probably look for batiks. It will be beautiful no matter how you finish it.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Diane007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    12,402
    Blog Entries
    1
    lucky girl.....

  10. #10
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,886
    If you need it King size, instead of borders, you could turn it on point and add 4 large triangles instead. A solid blue would look fine for the triangles and then put borders of the blue pine cone fabric is you have enough.

  11. #11
    Super Member BrendaY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    9
    Wow! What a beautiful quilt! Now some lovely Batiks would really show it off.. Can't wait to see it finished!

  12. #12
    Super Member DebbE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,615
    Since the fabric is pine cones & 'tree related', how about doing a small border to 'finish' the quilt center, then a much larger border with pieced pine trees all the way around, then another small border to finish the entire quilt off?

  13. #13
    Senior Member angiecub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by javin22 View Post
    Woo hoo! I just found 1 2/3 yards of this fabric on ebay. I just bought it. So now do you think I should put a narrow border of this pine cone fabric and then white and then a navy blue binding?
    I would use the solid navy for the framing border, then the pinecone fabric for the larger outer border. Lucky you to have found your fabric. Love ebay!

  14. #14
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,428
    If you really want more of the fabric, here it is - http://www.fatquarter.org/archives/c...easonal/page/2

    However I think you could also find something to match it. It's a beautiful quilt.

  15. #15
    Super Member nabobw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pinellas Park Fl
    Posts
    4,969
    Blog Entries
    6
    very pretty

  16. #16
    Super Member kateyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Posts
    2,257
    Get fabrics in the colors in the print (marble type?) and then do larger flying geese blocks for a border or perhaps hst's in a zigzag pattern for a border. I think either one of those would go with the triangles in the bear paw. Since the bear paw blocks look fairly large, proportionally large blocks in the border would make it look more like it was planned that way from the start, plus make it easier to get it to the king size you need.

  17. #17
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650
    What a great idea. I never would have thought of doing the pine trees in the border. I will have to think about that. Thanks so much for thinking this up. I think that would look wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
    Since the fabric is pine cones & 'tree related', how about doing a small border to 'finish' the quilt center, then a much larger border with pieced pine trees all the way around, then another small border to finish the entire quilt off?

  18. #18
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650
    Woohoo!! you found some more of it. Thanks so much. I will get some more. I just love this fabric. I have used it for quillows for the cabin and I was getting tempted to cut them apart to use the fabric for this quilt. Now I won't have to. Yippie! thanks again for finding it for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If you really want more of the fabric, here it is - http://www.fatquarter.org/archives/c...easonal/page/2

    However I think you could also find something to match it. It's a beautiful quilt.

  19. #19
    Junior Member bonitagaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Conway, Ark
    Posts
    296
    WOW Beautiful! Good for you finding the fabric!!! I like the on point idea with the triangles!!!!
    Bonitagaye...proud new Gramma

  20. #20
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650
    Thanks for a great idea. I may use this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kateyb View Post
    Get fabrics in the colors in the print (marble type?) and then do larger flying geese blocks for a border or perhaps hst's in a zigzag pattern for a border. I think either one of those would go with the triangles in the bear paw. Since the bear paw blocks look fairly large, proportionally large blocks in the border would make it look more like it was planned that way from the start, plus make it easier to get it to the king size you need.

  21. #21
    Super Member burchquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holmen, WI
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by javin22 View Post
    Woo hoo! I just found 1 2/3 yards of this fabric on ebay. I just bought it. So now do you think I should put a narrow border of this pine cone fabric and then white and then a navy blue binding?
    I think if it were me, I'd put a narrow navy marbled border & then a little wider border of white & then this (depending on how far you can stretch it) & then bind it with navy. Or white, this print & then end with a navy marble. Just my opinion...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

  22. #22
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,650
    I like that idea too. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I think if it were me, I'd put a narrow navy marbled border & then a little wider border of white & then this (depending on how far you can stretch it) & then bind it with navy. Or white, this print & then end with a navy marble. Just my opinion...

  23. #23
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    13,134
    Glad to hear you found some more fabric!
    Please show us how you finish the quilt!

  24. #24
    Super Member kateyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Posts
    2,257
    That is a very pretty quilt. The fabric looks so familiar to me. Lovely design.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.