Needle case bird house ...

Needle case bird house ...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

Oh my goodness. That is soo cute. She is gonna love it for sure
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

:-) Good Morning girls!

I mailed it off yesterday from the main post office in town. She should have it in a couple days. I haven't told her what it is.... so I am hoping she really likes it. She is an artist, so I am thinking the bright colors will be attractive to her. She was chosen to be an entry in the state fair down in southern california this year for one of her paintings. It is currently running now in costa mesa, Ca. if you want to see it. I am so proud of her. She won out as an entry over 1200 entries.

I can't believe all the links you girls found to the patterns and kits! Wow! I am going to go and check them out again when I finish responding. I can't lie, it was lots of time and work. But choosing the fabrics and making it my own design was almost as much fun as making a quilt.

I hope everyone shows and tells thiers. It is going to be fun to see them. Have fun ... I am glad you liked mine.

Edited to say ...

I love the asian fabrics on these! Those links are very cool! You might have gotten me into making another one . (At least) I love the pyramid one! Would't it be beautiful in a purple duponi silk with some silk flowered embroidery adorning it?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 AM

That is about the cutest thing I've seen yet!!! How cool!!! I may have to look into a couple of these, they would be awesome for the girls to keep crayons, markers and such in. A possible Christmas gift. hmmmmmm LOL Thanks!!! I'm running short on ideas for them, so this is going on the top of the possiblility lists :thumbup:
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

This may be a stupid question, but how is the fabric applied to the board? Is it glued or sewn or something else? Can you let us in on some of the actual construction methods? I think the finished product is adorable.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

It is glued after you do some clipping on the fabric pieces. I used a white wool felt as the padding, it was the perfect weight. You have to be careful not to get it too thick or the pieces will not fit together properly. They say to use white glue, but I used a glue stick that was acid free and dried clear. The jewels were the kind you appy with a tool that heats them. Also I will point out that the bottom stand/piece was is one I made to add on. As the bottom normally is a very small one. Thanks for asking.

I had many years ago made the fabric frames and little boxes, so I knew what I wanted to use before I started. There are many glues that would work though, if you wanted to have a good one that I have used the name is sobo. I made lampshades with it once and I liked it very much. To me the wet white glue is harder to work with and takes way too long to dry.
Oh one more thing ... I did glue the felt to the board first and trimmed it the edges. That way it isn't wiggling around while you try to cover it.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I just got a call from my sis and she just loves it! She thought it was a jewelry holder...LOL! I am so relieved that she likes it.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM

That is so cute!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Very impressive. It looks like a lot of following directions to me....
Old 08-22-2009, 05:02 AM

She'll absolutely love it!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:54 AM

This is really cute. I found this site today when i watched Alex Anderson show and they were showing these lovely boxes.

However although the kits are very reasonable so you make the whole thing yourself if you donīt live in the USA or Canada the postage is really high to Spain so I couldnīt buy when I went on the site and I really love those. Was going to make some for Christmas present. so boo hoo.

they have some beauties, here is the site if you want to look, but look at the kits the others are just way too expensive

www.needleboxes.com

Elle