Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New homemade quilt frame!

Blog Entries
    I was reading posts about the Flynn Frame, and can't afford it right now, so I showed it to DH..... And this is what he came up with!

I've just started using it, and so far busted two needles.... lol!!!! Think I am having to get used to having the 4" quilting area, as that's where I've been busting the needles.
    It's two 5' pieces of 1" pvc, and he made wooden thingys to hold them on each end. And pvc pipe fittings. He has 4x4x24" long under the quilt on each end, to help support it. I just used some packing tape to hold the leader cloths on (don't look at where I didn't trim the cloth to fit on the one side! lol!!!). Ribbon on sides, for side tension. This cost a whole $16, including the packing tape!

I just need to loosen the thingys on the ends to unroll it a bit, to get a new quilting area.

I thought this might help give somebody some ideas!
    :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I love your DH's ingenuity - looks as if it's working well. I understand the technical term of 'thingies' perfectly.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lesley! :D Is taking some getting used to, but I think once I do, should be great!

Hey, that looks good! I was wondering how a " homemade " one would work! Good work hubby! :lol:

I break needles too, and I just figure that either it was time to change anyway, or I am moving my fabric sandwich too fast! :?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sharon! Both times I've broke the needles, it's been when I reached the 4" limit. Haven't figured the reason yet, could be from moving too fast.
    :-)

I think he did a wonderful job!!!

Kyia

I think it's great to be so inventive! The expensive products most likely evolved from simpler designs that worked too. I'm all about finding it cheaper. Kudos to you both!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kyia & Quiltluvr!!! :D
    I've not broke anymore needles..... So hopefully I'm getting it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
    Thanks Sharon! Both times I've broke the needles, it's been when I reached the 4" limit. Haven't figured the reason yet, could be from moving too fast.
    How about a piece of template plastic with a 4+" cutout in the center???I'm not sure if this idea would work, but I think it would help keep you within your boundry...

Here's many pictures of what this lady did in her RV when they're on the road to quilt.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/386112553dDIfcV

your DH has given my DH an idea mmm

he's a very clever man.......

What a great idea!!! Way to go!!
    It looks good, and I'm sure you will have the hang of it in no time.

That is so cool.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tink's Mom, I laid a piece of material to use as my boundary. lol!!! But then tested the limit, and didn't have any problem. So am guessing it was me going to fast?

Tuesy, I seen that earlier when I was searching for ideas, and I {think} it was $249 for it. But I can't find the website I was at, to double check that price. Looks perfect for her though! I just needed something close to free. lol!!!! :-)

Thanks Loulou!!! I think it might have taken him a half hour, he just needed to drill the holes in the wooden thingys. I do want to get some 3" pvc though, instead of the wood blocks, to have under the quilt to support it. DH even wrapped clear vinyl over them, which helped. But now the issue is they get in the way as I move the quilt down.
    If you want better pictures, just let me know!

Thanks Ninnie!!! :D I have about two swipes left to do, then the proof will be in the pudding, as to how it came out! lol!!!! I know my stitches are far from being the same size, some are bigger, etc. But it sure beats the struggle I was having last night without it! :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Darlene!!! :D

Blog Entries
    Oh - should mention it can also double as a Cat Hammock! lol!!!!!!!!! Took a break, got on the computer, went back, and seen Kitty had discovered it! lol!!!!!!!!! :D

I think your hubby is a keeper!!!!! :mrgreen: Good job!
    As for the breaking needles....maybe you're moving the fabric when the needle is in the down position...therefore, forcing it to the side and it hits metal.....hmmmmmmm did I make my thought clear!?!?!?

And I see your "tuxedo" kitty is like mine.....learns really quick where the good stuff is!! LOL

ENJOY!

Your hubby is really a nice guy to have thought up something to help you quilt easier. I am really curious to see your results after it is done. Hurry hurry ... Oh no silly me that was breaking needles. Make sure you show it though when you are finished.

That kitty is a crack up stealing the quilt table for his own. He is looking like he is saying "WHAT it's not MINE??"

That is awesome and I bet your hubby is very proud that he made your sewing easier and saved a bunch of money.
    I would love to see more pictures to show my DH as he has offered to make me one .
    Thanks

I'm really interested to see this completed. Be sure to post it. Thanks for sharing all you are learning.

Diana---Aren't husbands wonderful? Yours did a great job and I am glad to see you got the airplane quilt all loaded up!!

Blog Entries
    LouLou, Joykey - Thank you, and here's some better pictures of it. And one of me doing it, to show you just need to slide the pvc pipe/quilt roll around.... :D Oh - and my DH cut the wooden end thingys 20".

And thank you AmandasGrandma, Red Garnett, Teacup, and Marcia!!!

And a picture of the quilt when I got done with it. Notice it's not a close up? lol!!!!! :wink: I don't think it turned out too bad considering it's my first time FMQ, except for two small doll quilts.

And I didn't break any more needles, so am guessing it was just me going too fast. But on the last row, my machine developed a weird noise.... it kept sewing though, thank God. This machine is about 23 yrs old, and is the only one with a darning foot and drop feeds! I'm going to check and see if it's just full of lint, etc.

Blog Entries
    And a couple more......

Thanks again, everyone!!!!! :D :D

Awww, cute kitty!

Your DH did a marvelous job on this for you. It looks professional to me. I showed my DH, hoping...

Can't wait to see your finished quilt. :-) Thanks for sharing!

What a wonderful husband!!

And what a cute kitty!!

And the quilt looks great to me!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast