Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
new post for Bargello progress (batik fall wall hanging) - DONE-bottom of pg 8 >

new post for Bargello progress (batik fall wall hanging) - DONE-bottom of pg 8

new post for Bargello progress (batik fall wall hanging) - DONE-bottom of pg 8

Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
This is funny: I sewed the last two seams together--half sections--and ironed... and opened...and was sure, after all my careful organization, I'd done something wrong. It didn't look right at all! :roll: I quickly checked the photo on the pattern and it seemed similar... Then I got my camera and when I looked through it I could see the twist was correct. WHEW!! I must say it looks a lot better in a photo than in person!

There were two sections that didn't go together well--too many seams were off, so I ripped it apart and sewed it from the other direction and it went together much better!

Now to decide on borders.

I cannot figure out how anyone can design these Bargellos! The directions say we might want to make it bigger.... Ha ha ha ha ha. :lol: :lol: I couldn't figure that out if my life depended on it! My hat off to anyone who can!! I'm thinking about danmar and her Swish!! :-D

I've decided to use the extra strips for either an easier Bargello pattern (Surf Song) OR for more log cabin squares--like are in my most favorite quilt ever.

Do you even need a border? Looks so good, I'd have to think about an envelope to turn inside out.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
WOW!!! Now THAT is one gorgeous quilt!! I actually have the same pattern and keep pulling it out and looking at it. It always seems a bit intimidating to me. Is it really difficult to do??? I'd love any opinion from someone who has done one.

Just looked at the pic again. Totally AWESOME. :)
I wouldn't say difficult...maybe tedious is a good word. It was not fun working with the 3/4" strips... but other than that it went together rather well. Not all the seams line up--but heck--there are a LOT of seams! :lol: It's just a matter of following directions and keeping things labeled. Trust me--if I can do it, so can you!! :thumbup:
Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Beautiful! This is on my "someday" list.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Karla....It's absolutely beautiful!!! and I would agree with you on EVERY comment you made regarding the construction and the importance of staying extremely organized along the way!!....I remember that moment of looking at it once it was all done and not seeing the twist until I looked through a camera lens!!! Thanks for showing your progress along the way!!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! :D:D:D
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 PM

I LOVE your colors...I'm still to chicken to try a Bargello but yours is wonderful.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I wouldn't say difficult...maybe tedious is a good word. It was not fun working with the 3/4" strips... but other than that it went together rather well. Not all the seams line up--but heck--there are a LOT of seams! :lol: It's just a matter of following directions and keeping things labeled. Trust me--if I can do it, so can you!! :thumbup:
So one without a 'twist' be any easier (like a 'wave' one) than one with a twist, or would it really not matter as long as you're organized? This quilt is totally intriguing me. :) I found a freebie non-twist one here, although I don't really like it as much as yours: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cda/article_print/0,1983,HGTV_42798_1390556_ARTICLE-PRINT-SXS-STANDARD,00.html
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM

For some reason I posted, but maybe it double hit with someone else's and doesn't look like it went through.

My 'dumb' question is if a twisted bargello quilt is any more difficult than just a wave. I've been sitting here just staring at yours.

This quilt is intriguing me!! :)

~~~~~~~~~~
WHOOPS, THERE IT IS!! ha ha
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM

that is going to be beautiful. Love the colours
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM

{Are you ready to show us yours?? Have you thought about borders? How do we choose?? }

Well, I can't say that I'm READY to show mine, but it may help others who try their hand at a Bargello....
I think (I hope!) I learned some things about fabric selection. As you'll see, there are a few fabrics that I should not have used, they don't flow well. But until I tried it, I couldn't really see it. This is part of a quilt called "Free Falling" from the Oct. 09 Quilter's World Magazine. There will be maple leaves on top and one side and I am using a cocoa brown border ... I think. The leaves are made from 9 of the fabrics from the Bargello. My next one will be better! :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162383.jpe