Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
New Quilt I am not happy with >

New Quilt I am not happy with

New Quilt I am not happy with

Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 AM

I like it but I know what it is like to be unhappy with something so if you are really unhappy with it then make a change. I would go with a narrow yellow border and a larger turqoise border with maybe a lavender/purple binding. JMHO. Nice quilt!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
IMHO, I'd definitely do a double border - using one of the florals along with the yellow. I think using the yellow on the border would balance it. Not that I know from personal experience yet, but from what I've read and seen here, the final quilting can really change the feel of the quilt - and take a quilt you're not too sure of and make it really special! (So I'd say don't take it apart!)
i agree here.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing
Quilt it with turquoise to tone down the yellow?
That's a great idea!

I agree, it doesn't look very cohesive right now. But once you use a binding/border that picks up on the blue and turquoise (a suggestion) and quilt it, it will look different. If you quilt within the two areas it will be better. A meander would work, but creating a pattern in the solid yellow to tie it in with the other...might be just what it needs!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 AM

I agree with others on here. The borders you choose can really pull out the blues and purples. I'd definitely try out borders before I took out all that work. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 AM

i definitely wouldn't take it apart...i think you should do a narrow border of purple (the purple color of the flower that is in your print) and then do a green border that matches your fabric...i too believe you don't know what a quilt will look like until you have the whole project finished and the yellow will look lovely against the borders....that being said, i'm not a pro at this...
Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 AM

Don't take it apart. Sounds like you are use to your colors blending perfectly, and sometimes its fun to step outside your normal box and take on a challange. I agree with others here, there are numerous things you can do now to make it all come together. Especially with the way you quilt it.
I love Quilticing's idea of quilting it with turquoise. Add a turquoise border or maybe even three borders turquoise, yellow, turquoise?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 AM

Audition it first with a double border - even if you have to take it to a quilt shop to do it. You might like it and save yourself the trouble of ripping.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I would wait a few days and look at it with fresh eyes. Sometimes that makes a huge difference. If you still don't like it, you could take it apart and put in another fabric, or you might finish it and give it away (to a friend who does like it, or as a donation quilt).

I have several quilts that I didn't like too much during some point of construction, but I like them now that they're finished. I realize now that I was temporarily fixated on some aspect of the quilt (one fabric or color).
Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 AM

Or, you could add a small applique where the four yellow squares join , using your other colors. A small heart or flower, or one of the circles from your fabric. That is what I'd do, to rip it all and start over would be too much for me.LOL