Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A new technique for me >

A new technique for me

A new technique for me

Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by JANICE E.
Thanks for info,appreicate it, can't wait for the completion . I would love to see how you get that on a long arm to quilt without messing up those little bits of fabric. I don't have a long arm, but was thinking of trying to do it and put into a lge hoop and try quilting it on my regular machine. Or maybe use spray glue and sprinkle the fabric bits alittle at a time. Anyone have suggestions??
Hello there, I am the instructor for the Confetti class. You don't need a long arm, in fact I would recommend against it. I think the piece would bounce and that would be a disaster. Neither do you need a any kind of hoop for this, nor any glue of any sort. It is all held together by the batting underneath and the tulle (bridal netting) on the top and then quilted to death. I hope that answers your question. If not you can message me.
Jan
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
If you took a class, it should be based on a book, pattern, quilter, art quilter, etc. Perhaps you can find out that info from your LQS?? It is fabulous and we would all love to know the basics, which I wouldn't think would violate any "codes". I would gladly take the class, but no one around here does anything cool like that, just your more traditional stuff :-/
Hello there-
I am the Quilt Instructor that taught mom2boyz who made the dog confetti. Where do you live? Maybe I need to come there and teach you and your buddies! Here's another confetti piece.
Jan
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252854.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Sooooo to everyone who is curious, I've been researching this to try to figure out which technique mom2boyz used LOL.

It seems Cindy Walter does the Snippets technique
http://cindywalter.com/
which involves double-sided fusible to secure the fabric pieces to the "canvas". It says no sewing is actually required, although it would probably be nice to have some thread/quilting on top.

On the other hand, the Confetti technique by Noriko Endo seems to involve scattering (with a plan) skinny strips of fabric onto the canvas (actually the batting), covering the finished design with tulle, and then securing it all with stitching in monofilament thread.
Here's a link to a video (first of three):
http://park19.wakwak.com/~noriko/

Anybody else want to jump in and speculate on the technique?
Hello there-
How about me? I am the instructor of the confetti class. I watched a show with Noriko Endo and I bought her book. It was lovely but way too complicated for me and it required thread painting to finish it off. Anyway, I just broke the process down by creating true confetti with my fabric and voila I had something easy and fun. As far as I know, no one else works this way. I have never seen it anyhow and I am writing a book.
Maybe more of a pamphlet!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252856.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM

I forgot to mention that there is not book...yet. I am working on it. Noriko Endo wrote a book she calls Confetti and it is lovely but her technique was too fussy for me. I broke it down into simpler pieces and now anyone can play.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
So, is anyone going to tell how this is done?, Or, are we all left to gnash our teeth and wonder.???
I'm writing a book as fast as I can. I am the instructor that taught the class where the confetti dog was created. All it takes are backing, batting, chopped up fabric, and bridal tulle (fine netting) to cover the whole thing and then machine quilting to death! No glue, no sticky stuff. Anyone can do this and it's fast.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252859.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
You did a fantastic job! I'm sure the teacher would be proud of you. Who did you take the class from? I've only used that techinque once and for a much smaller purpose ( flowers ). What a lot of hard work. But what a great picture!
She took the class from me! Jan Dole in Grants Pass, Oregon. I am proud of her and her accomplishment. It really isn't hard work. Honestly. My students would tell you that. You can complete the whole thing in a weekend.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252861.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Wow! It looks so pretty. I think I need to be saving my little scraps in color co-ordinated containers.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Love it! Jan - I would definitely buy the book - keep us posted. I also pass through Grants Pass once or twice per year but normally have a kid or two in tow so probably couldn't stop for classes. Maybe hop the train down from Seattle? Do you ever do the class in a weekend retreat as opposed to a series? Thanks, Shannon

Originally Posted by jand635
You did a fantastic job! I'm sure the teacher would be proud of you. Who did you take the class from? I've only used that techinque once and for a much smaller purpose ( flowers ). What a lot of hard work. But what a great picture!
She took the class from me! Jan Dole in Grants Pass, Oregon. I am proud of her and her accomplishment. It really isn't hard work. Honestly. My students would tell you that. You can complete the whole thing in a weekend.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM

I forgot to mention that there is not book...yet. I am working on it. Noriko Endo wrote a book she calls Confetti and it is lovely but her technique was too fussy for me. I broke it down into simpler pieces and now anyone can play.
WOW!! I wish you were on the east coast;this is great and I'd love to learn how to do this. It shows that you are also a great teacher since you have a newbie here who we all envy her talent w/her dog's picture.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by beatys9
Love it! Jan - I would definitely buy the book - keep us posted. I also pass through Grants Pass once or twice per year but normally have a kid or two in tow so probably couldn't stop for classes. Maybe hop the train down from Seattle? Do you ever do the class in a weekend retreat as opposed to a series? Thanks, Shannon

Hello,Shannon,
I have been thinking about a retreat for this class. It could easily be done over a weekend start to finish. I wonder if there would be any interest in Seattle? Hmmmm.. more to think about.