Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not for $100,000.00

Not for $100,000.00

Not if the Queen of England herself requested it will I EVER even attempt to make another DWR! I have sewed, ripped apart, re-sewed, re-ripped and used some of the most colorful language I've ever used! This thing is a nightmare i'll never wake up from. It was supposed to be a 5th wedding anniversary gift for my youngest DD, but as you can see by the date embroidered on it( or maybe you can't. It's 12-30-2006) I missed it by a few months! Those of you who make these things in multiples I salute you, those who are considering making one, I have one thing to say, "be afraid, be VERY afraid!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda L Rucker

Blog Entries
    I'm with ya girl

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning! Yours is beautiful

It is beautiful. Sorry it was so hard for you. If you look up rings that bind, you will find a way that is much easier to do. Mainly because when you get each block finished it is also quilted & by the time you get the whole quilt top put together, it is totally done front & back. It really is a simple way to make this quilt. Kaye woods shows the step by step way of doing it. You should check it out. I have always wanted to do one, but wouldn't commit to it as I knew it would be a nightmare to do the original way. I am now getting ready to tackle it the Kaye Woods way.

Very pretty. I try to stick to easier patterns.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have always thought that Double Wedding Ring is beautiful. I once saw one that was all blue. Gorgeous. But I have also always felt that it is beyond my capabilities. I can understand why you would not want to play with that again. I do love the colors you chose though. I am sure the kids will appreciate even if it is just a wee bit late.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

IQ2
    Maybe you can just quilt in in this size and make it a bed runner instead of a full-size quilt. You could make color-matching shams (without the wedding rings!!). I think that would be a lovely gift as well and your mental health will remain intact. Runners are very popular these days.

Congrats for finishing...your daughter is very luck..well done
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Blog Entries
    I have made 2..one with all the little pieces making up the ring and all one piece ring...guess I was not thinking when I made those two.....enjoyed making them..the solid ring was for a friend of mine...that one was easier but I like the original one better...with all the little pieces...

You are too funny. I've always been leery of trying one. Now I know better. It is beautiful after all your hard work.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/mo_d...dding_ring.htm

this is the only way to make a DWR!!!!Make many

I feel your pain. I have a DWR that I call the "quilt from hell". I have been working on it since 1993 or 1994.
    Sweet Caroline

Lol too funny......I started one many moons ago,paper piece. Only did about two pieces.... And off of the Salvation Army it went! Fifteen years later starting to show some interest......your post reminded.... NOT!!!!

Blog Entries
    But look at the wonderful results and in addition, now you know how to do it.........

I made one for my daughter's wedding back in 2000 and had it made in 3 months and sent it off to my Amish friend to quilt it. My daughter was engaged at Christmas, I made the quilt and had it done by May for her wedding shower.
    I had no trouble at all. It is queen size and comes down about half way to the floor. I would do it again in a heart beat. Why some of you find it hard or are scared to do it, I just don't understand. I cut all of those little pieces. If you think you can do it, go for it! It is in browns and peaches and looks beautiful on her spare bed. I sleep under it whenever we go there overnight. I would attach a picture but it is in the album somewhere. I will have to find it and send it out. Please don't be afraid to do it. I found it easy. The "melons" - just keep dividing it in half and no puckers. I would teach it if you all were close.

Looks awesome! I still want to try one. Am good with a ripper!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Omg! Why didn't I know about this before I started? I love how easy this looks! Still have three more rows to make before this one is done, just hope I have hair left when I get done! Oh we'll, was thinking about cutting my hair anyway.
    Linda L Rucker

Thanks for the warning. Yours is beautiful!

I'm with you, having made a DWR in a small size -- but I love the way they look and will consider making another one without all the little squares in the curvy thingys, like yours!! I didn't have trouble with the parts fitting together -- I'm just into easy and simple now days!!
    diane

Many of the quilts pictured on this board are beyond my abilities. Yours is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    It is beautiful. Sorry it was so hard for you. If you look up rings that bind, you will find a way that is much easier to do. Mainly because when you get each block finished it is also quilted & by the time you get the whole quilt top put together, it is totally done front & back. It really is a simple way to make this quilt. Kaye woods shows the step by step way of doing it. You should check it out. I have always wanted to do one, but wouldn't commit to it as I knew it would be a nightmare to do the original way. I am now getting ready to tackle it the Kaye Woods way.
    My DD wanted one for years, and I kept telling her I would get the fab. and she could cut it out, "But mom, you know I can't sew, what makes you think I could cut it out" my reply "Exactly, it would be a big chore, and I don't have the time". But then I found Cheryl Phillips book and template and made her one,several years ago it was much easier that it could have been otherwise, but was still a big chore. I had a coworker who saw the finished quilt, and fell in love with it, and wanted one, asking me if I would make her one. My reply' starting price is $1500." hers"you must be kidding!!, surely you wouldn't charge that much!" Mine,"Yes, I don't do this out of the goodness of my heart except for my children, and this one took over a year to make" I was still working then too. I have never heard about making one for her since. I have seen Kaye Woods' pattern, but I do like how Cheryl Phillips individual blocks are quilted and finished as you go, and the back is great has it's own pattern. Good luck on finding her book now on "Rings that Bind" It was retired, but have heard that she had so many requests, and they were selling at one point on Amazon for $95.00 a book-no kidding, so I've read somewhere that she was going to republish her book. I paid $45.00 for mine which included the acrylic template.

Blog Entries
    Ruck, I am with you, sistah! One of the DWR is my limit...Mom is now hand quilting it. Doesn't matter who gets married, there won't be another DWR quilt! Yours is gorgeous and will be so loved. Nice work.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

the thought has popped in to my mind that maybe I'm ready.....I swiftly shoved it out....don't think I'll ever attempt it!

i love DWR's nd yours is so beautiful, love the lilac colors

Blog Entries

Don't Give Up!!

I lost count of the number of DWR's I've made - so sorry you've found it so frustrating. I've used both the John Flynn method and the Marti Michell templates. Of the two, the MM would probably be less frustrating. Secret is having exactly perfect cutting and exact 1/4 seams. Don't give up. I just love this pattern. Have made several 58 x 58's and at least three 118 x 118 and plus I quilted them on my DSM. (Just LOVE this pattern)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast