Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Now the hard part starts....

I finished my little ones lap quilt top tonight. I love love love it. Now the problem is, I am going to machine quilt on it. I haven't done much of it before and I am a bit intimidated by it. Sure hope I don't mess up to badly! Any advice would be appreciated! Please....

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The quilt is so darling!! :D I don't have any advice on quilting it. If I can't stitch in the ditch, then I take mine to my LQS & have it done. I hope you will show us how you finished it, after you are all done!! :D :D :D

That a very cute quilt! Are you new to machine quilting? You could start by stitiching in the ditch. That's fairly straight forward and would look great on this quilt because it will emphasize the piecing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's beautiful!!! It's playful and bright--just awesome.

Hmm--quilting--what I learned on here worked best: practice, practice, practice before you try it on the quilt. Maybe a meander?

It's pretty!
    I don't have any advice for you, but it sure is pretty!!! Oh, I already said that lol

Very pretty!! No advice on the quilting though.

Very, Very pretty!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I love it! I would put on my walking foot and stitch those pinwheels in the ditch to make them really pop out. Show us again when you get it done...oh....the best advice...RELAX...and breath...and have fun.

Banned
    That turned out so cute. GREAT JOB!.... I tie my quilts... sorry I'm no help

Your quilt is adorable! I agree with the other opinions here--stitch in the ditch! It will bring out the pattern in the pinwheels and will look awesome on this quilt. Well done!

Your quilt is just darling!!! Love the colors!!

I love your quilt!
    Don't have any quilting advice...sorry!
    Show us when you get it finished!
    Kirsten

Its a very nice quilt....
    Don't worry you cannot go wrong if you just use same color thread :lol:

very nice indeed......:-)

That is such a lovely quilt, I'm sure she will cherish it for many years to come.

Thank you so much. I am guessing stitching in the ditch wins this one! The pattern is great, It makes double what you need just in reverse.
    (green being prominant this time).

Another question, I thought I would do that other one as a babyshower gift. Do you think it would work for a boy? (The fabric has lots of lady bugs on it). If not I may just donate it. Everyone I know is having boys!

I have always handquilted or sent it out. My arm can't handle the hand stuff anymore. And I don't have the patience to wait in line for it to be quilted.

Thanks again for the help.

Very very pretty!

Just lovely! I'd also stitch in the ditch.

Such a cute quilt. I'm sure you will do great with the quilting. She is very lucky to get such a treasure.

Sulabug: It your avatar an image of yourself? Everytime I see your avatar I think of how pleasant and nice that smiling face is. Your avatar makes me feel good.

Gosh, how bright and pretty! I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabird3
    I finished my little ones lap quilt top tonight. I love love love it. Now the problem is, I am going to machine quilt on it. I haven't done much of it before and I am a bit intimidated by it. Sure hope I don't mess up to badly! Any advice would be appreciated! Please....
    Mamabird:
    Your quilt is just darling. I think the pattern is called a "Double Pinwheel." It looks so complicated. Great job.

When I asked for suggestions on how to machine quilt I was told a few really good suggestions:

1. SLOW sewing- Don't RUSH the job

2. WALKING FOOT really helps make the job easier without puckers and wadding on the backside of the quilt.

3. Use a longer than normal stitch length

4. Nobby quilt gloves ...can also use those little garden gloves with the little nobs on them. These help you keep a grip on the quilt and your hands don't get so tired. I bought my gloves at a quilt store class for about $9 a few years ago but tried the garden gloves ($1.99 at Bi-Mart) and they work equally as well. Just need something for traction.

5. Enjoy the experience and LOVE the results. I'm a novice quilter but when I do a machine quilting I always feel like "I've arrived!" in the REAL quilting world. :lol:

Lovely, lovely, lovely.....

I have had limited experience machine quilting being a relative beginner. When I do machine quilt, I sitch in the ditch. It's not fancy but does the job.

I started quilting this week. I have been stitching in the ditch, and only have two blocks left to do, a run around the border and binding. Hoping to be done by the end of the weekend.

My machine quilting is definatly not perfect, but it isn't to bad of an eyesore either. I do have a problem "not rushing" and I think that is a pparent when I look at it. But all in all for a quilt that will be drug through the yard, picnics being had on and snuggled daily it will be just fine. She is very excited about it I will post pics when all is done.

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt!! Love the pinwheels!! Great colors!! I am no help with the quilting part at all. I simply can't master wrestling a quilt on a regular size machine so they usually get taken out to LAQ or I hand quilt them. Beautiful quilt :thumbup: Look forward to seeing it when you finsih :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast