Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
OBW fabric.  How did I do? >

OBW fabric. How did I do?

OBW fabric. How did I do?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 AM

Hi QuiltE!
Wow - One layer? Was your fleece thin fleece? Mine is a very thick kind, all cream. i tried one layer and the blocks just kept falling off, but when I folded it in half... viola, it worked! ( I don't need the pins to hold on the blocks or even the pieced quilt, just to hold the fleece itself to the wall.) I'm curious about what kind of fleece you used, because one layer would certainly give you more bang for your buck! Yeah, it also makes a great drying wall after starching, etc.

Oh! - Dixie_fried, members here told me to starch my OBW blocks after they were sewn together (since you don't prewash then starch OBW fabric) and that hint helped me a lot with the quilting stage.

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 01-02-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM

great choice. good colors
Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks, again for all the kind words and the GREAT advice! You all have made this experience even more exciting than it was already!
As for design wall, I had to have something today (impatient much??), so I grabbed a vinyl table cloth and taped it to some foam core boards. It's holding everything up for now, though it's not big enough at this point. It will be a nice small spot until I can do something a bit more permanent.
I know I will rearrange these blocks...I just couldn't wait to get them together to try and envision the end product. Here are the blocks I have done so far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299757[/ATTACH]
And to reiterate how few scraps I have from my 4 yards...Here are the end trimmings along with the 2.5 X 22 inch strips that will likely be borders:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299758[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails design1.jpg   leftovers.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Oh! - Dixie_fried, members here told me to starch my OBW blocks after they were sewn together (since you don't prewash then starch OBW fabric) and that hint helped me a lot with the quilting stage.
I hate to sound dense, but, should I be starching my half hexes? I haven't had need for starch to this point, but, if it makes the assembly easier, sign me up!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Dixie, they advised me not to starch until the top was all finsihed being sewn together. Starching and ironing can stretch the fabric and then your half hexes would have a hard time matching up with their twin. i'm a newbie too, but from what I read about starching here on the QB, you either starch 1) after prewashing and before cutting, OR 2) starch after your quilt top is all put together. I've read members warnings not to starch midway, because of the possibility of stretching and getting wonky blocks.
Also, folks told me to try a light application of spray adhesive between the quilt sandwich layers and that helped a lot too!

Your first arranged mock up shows this is going to be one beautiful quilt!

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 01-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Great choice! Please post when finished!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Dixie, they advised me not to starch until the top was all finsihed being sewn together. Starching and ironing can stretch the fabric and then your half hexes would have a hard time matching up with their twin. i'm a newbie too, but from what I read about starching here on the QB, you either starch 1) after prewashing and before cutting, OR 2) starch after your quilt top is all put together. I've read members warnings not to starch midway, because of the possibility of stretching and getting wonky blocks.
Also, folks told me to try a light application of spray adhesive between the quilt sandwich layers and that helped a lot too!

Your first arranged mock up shows this is going to be one beautiful quilt!
Thanks for the info! I didn't feel I needed the starch before I cut the fabric, and since it was cut on the (near?) bias, I knew I had to handle it gently to keep from stretching. I haven't even dared used the side cutter in my machine to cut threads to make sure I was keeping my fabric unstretched. So...I will get the top finished and then starch it before I quilt it. Got it!!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Those are great! My next attempt is going to be a stack n wack, I hope.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Well, it's the end of day 2. I have 2/3 of the blocks done and my "design wall" is full. I will finish my blocks tomorrow and try to figure out another way to arrange them on the wall. Probably have to rearrange the furniture...
Here is the full design wall with 60 blocks:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299839[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails design3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 04:33 PM

Wow, those are so beautiful!!! I love your fabric choice and each block is so unique. I may have to learn how to do that!!! Love it!