Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ocean Waves >

Ocean Waves

Ocean Waves

Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskan lady
Love your quilt. I'm currently working on this pattern and I know it as the Storm at Sea....... Mine is a miniature and will be in scrappy blues and whites.
I also knew it as storm as sea and have seen it called both. I know their is also an Ocean waves with tiny half square triangles.

But it is beautiful.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jacquemoe
Hi Pat, what size is the quilt? I think it's a really cool design. I think the blue is just enough. All your intersections look so perfect. Tell me why you wouldn't do another paper piecing? I haven't tried paper piecing so tell me why I might not want to try it.

Hi Jackie,
I don't care for pp because you can't see what you are doing. You are sewing with the fabric under the paper, and you must follow the numbers too. Think it is just me, but it was very nerve racking for me. I was really sweating it. I knew that if I didn't do it at the retreat, I would never do it. I had not noticed when I ordered the kit that it was done by pp. I just saw those colors and loved it. If you can sew on the line, and don't mind it being upside down, you might just love it. People who like perfection usually like it, because all of your points should come out perfect with this technique. But doubt if I will ever do another.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM

The blue is beautiful. Very rich looking. I love it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM

I am a strong supporter of blue, but I think that the blue is just absolutely perfect!
The name of the pattern is "Ocean Waves" and that touch of blue absolutely helps your eye follow the wave.
I wouldn't change a thing!
You may not be the fan of blue that I am, so I am wondering if another sea color such as aqua or green would make you feel more comfortable.
I tried imagining what it would look like if you put a brown in there, and the thing just clunked!
In my humble opinion <g>
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM

I made one of these and absolutely love it. I used a pattern they called "Storm at Sea" which is the same. But I know patterns can have more than one name. Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
I don't care for pp because you can't see what you are doing. You are sewing with the fabric under the paper, and you must follow the numbers too.

Pat, when I paper piece, I have a lamp that sits to the side of my sewing table and when I hold the paper up towards that lamp, I can see exactly where the cloth is in relation to the block. That makes it really easy. I don't think I could do it if I were just trying to eyeball it otherwise. You might try it and see if that helps. Just a thought.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 AM

I love the movement in this quilt. I like the colors, it's a beauty,

Vicky
Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 AM

I love the blue corners! And have done a paper pieced Ocean Wave quilt too. I thought the same but years later, I am ready to do another. It is a good learning experience in color and in piecing however all corners come out accurate.
Your quilt has movement, which is what ocean waves presents itself.
missM
Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM

I haven't tried the ocean waves paper pieced. If this is your first attempt at PP, it does take some time to get your mind around it, anyway it did me. I swore , Never again, but alas I have done a couple more and it gets easier but I think I must dyslexic or something because it takes several squares before I get it. You've done a great job and I like the colors in the waves. A day for a top is not a long time. You should be proud of yourself for trying something new and for the way it turned out.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM

I love the colors and the quilt pattern!! You did a really nice job!! I haven't tried pp yet -- I'm too chicken :roll: