Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Okay--I had to show off my first quilt! lol

Blog Entries
    First, this was started in 1978--my first year of college. I cut the pieces out with scissors and sewed by hand. I didn't get far. About 25 years later I played around with it and had a machine, so started sewing on it more. It was twice this big, but I couldn't handle how off everything was, so I cut it down the middle and made two "junk" quilts. My daughter was little at the time, so loved them. She picked out a back--see below--and now at age 19, just brought it to me for mending. She has at least four other quilts, but seems to love this one as much as the others.

When I see so many incredible first quilts here, I'm in awe. Mine had no ironing, no rulers, no clue! I've still never taken a class..but I've slowly improved over time. :-D
    Here we go... (are you sure you want to see this? Turn back now if you don't have a strong stomach.)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Firstquilt.jpg[/img]
    Okay--now that you've gotten this far, how about some close ups? :shock:
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/IMG_2940.jpg[/img]
    Look at those intersections! :wink:
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/IMG_2942.jpg[/img]
    It's partly quilted and where it was pucker on pucker, I tied it--right down the border. :lol:
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/IMG_2943.jpg[/img]
    The back is sweet.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/IMG_2941.jpg[/img]
    And--tah da--some fancy roses from my new machine to enhance this beauty! All mended! (Something tells me it's going to need more.)
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/IMG_2945.jpg[/img]

There you go--you were so very brave to stay till the end. :D
    Why does photobucket say these are 400x600, then post them bigger???? I'd go back to attempt a resizing, but then my edit time will be up. :|

Blog Entries
    I think it certainly was a good job for not having a clue of what you were doing. It held together for all these years and gave warmth and comfort to your daughter, who loves it. What else could you ask of it? It is a great quilt for all those reasons.

karla, are you sure that's yours and not mine? if it's really yours, then they were twins separated at birth.

Blog Entries
    Oh no butterfly--I have the other half it was separated from! :lol:

I seen quilts made by seasoned quiltmaker that didn't look any better.
    Your daughter loves it, what more can you ask for. Mend it and she will be able to use it many more years.

It looks better than my first real quilt. And the most important thing.....it is loved. That makes it perfect.

Blog Entries
    It is so cute how much she loves it. She hugged it to her chest when she showed me the weak spots, was thrilled with the rose mending and she even has a favorite square. :-D

Funny -
    It reminds me so much of my first one (as I'm snuggled under it as I write). I have never taken a class either and I know I've improved over the years but my first quilt will always be my favorite!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hey, bb, I think it looks pretty darned good considering. If I'd tried to make one without a class, it would be a sure winner for the ugliest quilt contest! I think yours looks great, and most of all it looks loved, which is the most beautiful look possible!

Good job!!!

This is my kinda of quilt....!!!!! I love it...!!!!!
    a lot of heart in that quilt.......

Blog Entries
    I especially love the look of that line of stitches down the middle of the borders. Oh goodness.....

This quilt oozes warmth, charm and love. All very difficult to achieve, no matter what the skill level. I can understand why your daughter loves it so much, so mend with pride...after all it's a "keeper".

Karla, when I look at your quilt, first I see a lot of love and determination from a woman who really wanted to be a quilter. Next I see all the love and warmth and comfort that Rachel has gotten from it. What a beautiful quilt!!!

My first quilt was cut with scissors using cardboard templates, hand pieced and hand quilted---and I still have it. It has faded, torn and worn thin, but I hang on it for sentimental reasons.

It makes me sad that I cannot see the pictures. I don't know why...:( :( :(
    But I'm sure it's beautiful. All quilts that are made with love are beautiful!

Thanks for showing us this cozy, warm looking quilt Karla! You can tell it's very loved, hence the patching.

Karla, what matters most is that you made it and you lovingly gave it to your daughter and she thinks it is special and so it is a beautiful quilt!!!

Blog Entries
    A cute story!

To me, that looks like a real quilt.

By the way, how I wish they still had those small floral fabrics today!

Blog Entries
    Oh, what a nice story. The quilt may be 'not quite perfect'[ but I understand why your daughter loves it.......it's the love that the quilt represents.
    I still have my first quilt and still love it,even though it is ugly. How did we ever manage to make anything 'quilty' without a rotary cutter?

Blog Entries
    Oh you ladies will love anything! Here's the proof. :wink: Having just finished 30 Triple Irish Chain squares that needed 36 seams pinned per square, the only thing I appreciate about this quilt is the wild abandon I must have used to throw it together. Oh course I love that Rachel loves it. :-D

One of the other first quilts I made was just a panel with some quilting lines. It has read, white, and blue on the front. I added three equal width borders and finished it off. The purpose was to practice quilting techniques. Let's just say I still needed LOTS of practice. Well--my son loved that quilt. I remember one night he had lost some Silly Putty in his bed. The next night we found it stuck to the quilt. I tried to get it out, but it left a spot. I said to the sad son "It's just a dumb ole quilt anyway." He howled "It's not a dumb old quilt TO ME!" That was an eye opener and I worked some more at getting the stain out. It didn't come out, but it's just a small spot and he has four others to use now. :wink:

The lesson here is to make your first quilts when there's a child around young enough to appreciate the efforts! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, ranger. If I teach a child to quilt, he/she wouldn't be able to use one, so how would I teach them??

Actually, my son took a sewing class when he was about 7 yrs old and after making some awesome pillows, he went on to make a quilt of his own at home. He used cardboard templates, (as I did for this one)--just squares. It wasn't too bad. it was interesting to watch him choose fabrics. I'll have to psot that one some time. I'm sure it's in his closet.

I look at my first quilts and hope no one ever wants to see them. But my DS sleeps under his every night. And when it's washed, he comes for it to go back on the bed. It is warm and cozy, but the workmanship is a step up from grade school. I have learned much since then.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I want to post the latest quilt next to it to assure others I've grown. :lol:

It is a good lesson in you have to start somewhere.

Hmm--I wonder if I could use this as a lesson to my students about life... if it brings you joy, never stop learning no matter what the starting point looks like. Or with a little study, progress happens. I'll have to ponder this.

Even though you say you didn't know what you were doing it has stood the test of time, so you obviously knew enough to make a lasting project

As long as your daughter loves it, that's all that matters, not the mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast